From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:00:42 -0700

I just received another recipe that I definitely want to share. It follows:

Theron's GF Macaroni And Cheese

8 ounces rice elbow macaroni
    (I prefer Tinkyada, but it can be hard to find, so I often end
    up using DeBoles corn or Quinoa - use whatever you prefer)
1 cup tapioca floor bread crumbs
    (I take 4 pieces of Ener-G tapioca loaf, dry them in a 150
    degree oven, then cut off the crusts, and throw them in a
    food processor)
1 tablespoon butter for bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter for casserole
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
    (Other starches work, but I have had the best luck with
    arrowroot)
2 3/4 cups half-and-half
    (You can use cream or milk if you like, and the result will
    be more or less creamy - I find half-and-half a good
balance)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
    (Use any cheese that melts well - even more cheddar if
    nothing else - but avoid mild cheeses, as the  flavor tends
    to get lost)
2-3 ounces  parmesan, grated fine

Cook macaroni for 2 minutes less than indicated on package.
When done, drain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking.

Melt 1 tblsp butter, remove from heat, mix in bread crumbs and
toss. Set aside.

Put half-and-half in a 3 quart saucepot.
Add arrowroot starch, and slowly heat over medium-low heat,
stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat.
Add cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, stirring until melted.
Season with pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne.

Add macaroni, mix well.
Pour into buttered cassarole dish.
Sprinkle parmesan on top.
Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until browned on top.
Cool 5 minutes.
Serve.

If you fully cook the macaroni, one can omit the bread crumbs and
parmesean, and skip the baking step. Much better than any
stovetop mac and cheese you can get from a box.

There are infinite variations.  I enjoy adding dollups of soft goat
cheese to the top before baking.  Some like peas mixed in.  Some
sautee onion in butter (optionally removing the onion) in the pan
before mixing up the cheese sauce.

And as good as this is, I almost always like it better cold the next
day.