From:
Sandi Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:37:01 -0800

I apologize for the delayed summary.  My original post explained my story of
how I came to be eating gluten-free.  (Not a diagnosed Celiac).  I
accidentally ingested gluten and had no side effects.  I asked the Listserve
for advice to clear up my confusion as to why I didn't have a reaction and
how to find out if I am or am not celiac.

I got the following replies.  The numbers following the reply indicate the
number of additional people that said the same thing.  My responses and
further questions are in brackets.  I included two helpful excerpts from
those who replied.

1.  Get a transglutaminase antibody blood test - 5.  [Are these 100 percent
accurate?  And I thought you had to ingest gluten prior to the blood test to
be accurate.  Is this true?]

2.  I possibly have leaky gut.  [I'm sure that I do.  Is this a causal
factor in celiac or just another thing I have?]

3.  I may just have food allergies - 3. [My allergy tests four years ago
determined that I was very allergic to wheat.  Since going of gluten, my
most recent allergy tests three months ago indicated that I was no longer
allergic.  I agree that this could be why I did  not react to gluten.  Does
this lead toward my being a non-celiac?]

4. Didn't eat enough gluten - 7.  [Yes, perhaps you are right.  I only ate
it in one sitting, and if my gut is healthy, I suppose that would not do
much celiac damage immediately.  At least, that's what I infer from many of
the responses.]

5.  Reactions come later - 2.  [I never got any sort of a reaction from it.]

6.  Don't rule out celiac.  [I won't until I can from testing.]

7.  Two people were very determined that I AM celiac. [I've lost your mail,
but if you were one who was so sure, could you again tell me what in my
story makes you that way?]

8.  Avoid fresh dairy and sugar.  [Can this person tell me how they connect
this advise to my symptoms?  I do avoid dairy - all dairy.  Sugar, I try,
but it's harder.  Perhaps you know something I need to know.]

9.  Do NOT do gluten challenge - not worth the damage caused - 1.

10.  Gluten is doing damage even if there is no reaction right away - 1.

11.  One diagnosed person shared with my that he/she has ingested gluten and
never gotten sick.

12.  Get tested for celiac - 1.  [Which test?]

13.  Get tested for DH - 2.  [My DH symptoms went away about six months
after going gluten free.  However, I question whether it is DH.  I think
it's just an allergic response because I get the same thing if I eat garlic
for more than three days in a row.]

14.  Rash sounds like DH - 2.

15.  See a doctor.  [I go to a fantastic naturalpathic clinic. My original
allopathic doctor when this all started was less than helpful. Are you
recommending a GI?]

16.  Read Dangerous Grains.  [I'll put it on my list.]

17.  One person emphasized the downsides and upsides of a gluten challenge.

18.  Warning of being a silent celiac - 1.  Excerpts follow:

The reaction to gluten itself may or may not have symptoms:
I think only something like 1/3 of celiacs have noticable
symptoms. The symptoms are often secondary, like vitamin
deficiencies, liver problems, neurological problems, skin
problems. Some people eat gluten and get very sick. But
the sickness probably isn't from gluten -- it is from
the body's REACTION to gluten. The body stops producing
anti-gliadin antibodies if you stay gf long enough, so you
may well stop reacting even if you used to react.

From another person:

I just want to point out that the fact that you ingested gluten
on one occasion and felt no reaction does nothing to disprove (or prove)
that you are a celiac.  Frankly, the people who experience strong immediate
reactions are more likely to have wheat allergies than to be celiac
(although both conditions sometimes occur simultaneously).  Celiac disease
is when a person's immune system mounts an attack against a protein that
occurs in certain grains, and in the process one's own intestines are
damaged.  In some people, this is symptomless while it is occurring (except
that after a while they cannot digest or absorb nutrients, and so may for
example end up anemic, with osteoporosis, or with other problems of
malnutrition.  After a certain point the damage inflicted to the intestinal
lining is such that they have digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea or
constipation.

19.  Why on earth would I be on a gluten free diet?!? [Before I went in one,
I thought I was going to die - not from classic celiac symtoms, but from
acid reflux, asthma, rashes, constipation, stomach cramps that put me in the
ER twice, depression and fatigue.  Since going off, my life is normal again.
I WANT to eat gluten but first want to know if I'm celiac.  I think if I'm
NOT celiac, and if I eat gluten in moderation, those original symptoms
should not reappear, especially since my allergy test showed negative for
gluten.  Does anybody agree?]

20.  One person wisely admonished (and I have been tempted, but have not
given in) to NOT eat gluten.  They said it will be harder now, and they are
right.

21.  One person told me to read Joseph Murray's article.

22.  Stick with the gf diet! - 2.

23.  One person suggested I check into eosinophidic disease.  [If this
person has time, can you summarize for me what this is?]

24.  Helpful remedies:  1.  VERATRUM ALB 30C after ingestion  2. To build up
gut - L glutamine 500 mg and Probiotics at every meal for a year, then once
of twice a day.

25.  One person recommended bowel conditioning and blood cleaner.  [Can this
person explain further what this does for a celiac?]

Introducing NetZero Long Distance
1st month Free!