From:
Mardena Waller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:22:14 -0500

Hi List,

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone (or any organization) who is
interested in bioengineered wheat gluten introduction into other foods,
such as corn.

Email your questions to Gluten Biotech Watch: Marshall Chrostowski,

Mardena Waller

Codex Alimentarius Commission is a United Nations body charged with the
development of international standards for food safety and consumer
protection, worldwide...INCLUDING what will be in foods in THE UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA:

http://www.fao.org/es/ESN/gm/allergygm.pdf   p 5-7,  CELIACS EXCLUDED!
See p 20 for list of participants (3 from the United States, 28 total
members).

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO CELIACS?

This MEANS that genetically modified corn (and other products) CAN include
wheat protein. It was reported that not one complaint in support of
celiacs has been received!

Until the final Codex is submitted to nations for inclusion in local
legislation, there is always a chance to add celiac considerations.

If Celiacs and Celiac organizations don't demand consideration of celiac
concerns (and anyone avoiding gluten, such as autistics), celiac disease
will be overlooked...ignored, and bioengineered wheat gluten will march
forward.
World moving to set standards for GM foods, U.N. agency says Deutsche
Presse-Agentur (dpa)  April 02, 2001

Rome (dpa) -Significant progress is being made in setting international
standards regulating the sale of foods derived from biotechnology, the
United Nations said in a statement published in Rome Monday.

According to a special task force of the Food and Agriculture
Organisation and the World Health Organisation, near consensus has been
reached on draft text legislating on the health concerns of genetically
modified foodstuffs.

The task force brings together officials from 35 countries and
representatives of 24 non-governmental organisations, including Consumers
International, industry groups and Greenpeace. The commission is managed
by Codex Alimentarius, a UN body charged with  the development of
international standards for food safety and consumer protection.

The Codex Alimentarius Commission set up the ad hoc task force, which
was hosted by Japan, in 1999.

The task force's deadline has been set for July 2003, after which Codex
Alimentarius's 165 member countries would be asked to include the text
into their national legislation.

 dpa  Copyright 2001 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH