From:
Stephanie Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:14:26 -0400

Hi all-
        I was biopsy diagnosed last year by a GI doctor after several months of
digestive trouble, severe anemia, and elevated liver enzymes.  This GI doc
has several patients with CD and was quick to pick up on it in my case.
Generally he has been patient and informative.  After several months on the
GF diet my anemia is improving, and liver enzymes are back to normal.
However, for the past three months I've had unrelenting (but not severe)
diarrhea, no matter what I eat or when.  I have been careful to stick to
the GF diet.  Last month when I consulted this same GI doc about these
symptoms, he pretty much shrugged and said "wait and see".  He ran some
stool tests and blood work (probably to make me feel better) which revealed
nothing.  Two weeks ago I noticed numbness in my fingertips mild headaches.
 I called my doctor and asked if it might be a nutrient deficiency, as
suggested by some posters to the list.  He said he didn't think it was, and
"monitor symptoms closely for 2 weeks and if no improvement call back".
        Well I'm not impressed.  It sounds to me like he's brushing me off.  I
don't want to endure these symptoms or put off finding out what's going on
any longer than I have to.  I'm thinking of consulting a naturopath to see
if I'm reacting to any other foods.  My questions to listmembers are:
        Do you think a naturopath could help me with this history?
        Can a naturopath tell me whether I'm absorbing vitamins and nutrients
and how much?
        Can I claim such a visit on my insurance (it's a private major medical
policy)?
        What special questions/suggestions should I have for a naturopath?
        Will I be given expensive tests?  Will I need multiple visits?
I'd appreciate any advice.  I'll summarize responses.  Thanks in advance!
--Stephanie (Colorado)