From:
5PAC(:o) <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:13:48 -0400

****** Original Message ******

 I just purchased POHA flakes from a local Indian Foods Market thinking I
could use them in place of oats for cookies.  Has anyone ever used POHA rice
flakes in baking or cooking recipes (with success)?  I would love to make my
celiac daughter "mock oatmeal" cookies.

******** Summary***********

1.

I use almonds instead of oatmeal. A combination of crushed almonds and
slivered almonds. It's hard to tell the difference - add raisins and
cinnamon and there you go ! 2.

Yes, I have used them in replace of oat flakes, but did not have very
good luck with them. I now use Quinao flakes available in health food
stores in place of them and oats with GREAT success. I use them cup for
cup in replacing them for cookie recipes. 3.

I use poha flakes instead of oats and it comes out fine. Try it, you'll
like it. 4.

I just recently bought some poha flakes and made a apple crisp following
my old recipe. I soaked the poho flakes in water first and drained well
then mixed with brown sugar and  GF flour. It was really good but
thought that I would try to make it again without soaking the flakes. It
may not work.  If you find an oatmeal cookie  recipe please let me know.
That is what I really bought them for but haven't gotten far enough to
search out a recipe. Good luck! 5.

Hi.  I don't know much about POHA flakes.  However, I do know that Bette
Hagman has a recipe for Mock Oatmeal Cookies made with soy flakes.  No
relation and no financial involvement with Bette. 6.

Poha flakes are a good sub to give cookies and breads an oatmeal texture.
They tend to be quite dry and sharp, so you should soak them first in jut
enough water to make them soft.  Add maple syrup (the real thing) or maple
sugar or brown sugar and/or nut butter to give them that oatmeal taste--they
are quite bland otherwise.

Here is a wonderful recipe for Pseudo-Oatmeal Cookies. It's taken from a
Miss Roben's catalog of a about two years ago:

1/2 cup honey 1/3 cup sugar 1/2 cup margarine 1/2 cup nut butter 1/2
teaspoon vanilla 1 cup white rice flour 3/4 cup quinoa flakes, or poha 1
teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup raisins, or nuts or
minced dried fruit Preheat oven to 350.  Beat honey, sugar, margarine,
nut butter and vanilla until creamy.  Mix rice flour, poha or quinoa
flakes, baking soda & salt.  Add to mixture and beat until well blended.
Add fruit or nuts.  Drop by rounded teaspoons onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake 12-15 minutes. 7.

I tried POHA flakes once as a direct substitute for oatmeal.  I learned
(later!) that I should have soaked the flakes.  The cookies were very
chewy as the poha flakes were rather hard. 8.

I have not used the POHA flakes and have wondered about them myself.  I
use a "mock oatmeal" cookie recipe from Bette Hagman that uses almonds
chopped to approximately oatmeal size in place of oatmeal.  They are
VERY GOOD.  Not really like oatmeal - but maybe even better.  It's in
"More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet." 9.

Yes, I have been happy using them in place of oatmeal for oatmeal cookies.
10.

I don't know if you have already received information about poha flakes,
but I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway.

I use them all the time for "oatmeal" cookies, and any time oatmeal might
need to be substituted for in recipes.  I use thin flakes and soak them
first to soften them up.  They don't soften well in the cookies, but
soaking, then draining them works well in my recipes.  If I want a crunchy
texture, I don't soften.