From:
Denise Leines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Leines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:34:42 -0500

Thank you so much for words of encouragement and understanding/sympathy.  I received quite a few responses from members who had a tough time with the antibiotic regimen that it takes to get rid of this stomach bacteria.  The consensus is that after the 10-14 day treatment, there may be  some time (weeks or months) before the stomach heals enough to start feeling normal again.  Antibiotics kill all of the good and bad flora in the system, so according to just about everyone, you must replenish this as soon as you stop the medication.  Begin with good probiotics, yogurt, kefir and sauerkraut.  My son was still having problems with stomach pain after finishing with the antibiotics, so we went back to the gastro people and found that his stomach was not emptying as fast as it should and wanted to treat him with another LOW dose of antibiotics.  My son said "no way, I would rather heal slower and feel better that heal faster and feel really bad"  I agreed, so we stopped everything including the stomach acid reducer and that turned out to be the best course of action.

There were a few surprises in the responses that I received:

One member mentioned a newer, ONE day treatment consisting of Amoxicillin, Metronidazole, and Prevacid.  A follow-up breath test three weeks later will show positive/negative for h-pylori.  For a celiac, this treatment will not destroy the stomach nearly as much as a two week treatment.

One member mentioned that eating garlic daily in some form, will prevent h-pylori from developing but cannot remember the source of this information.

Another suggestion: There are
many things that make life hard for h. pylori, such as DGL Licorice, Fucus
vesiculosus "Bladderwrack seaweed", Probiotics (like acidophilus, but a
variety of types), Bismuth citrate (aka pepto bismol - in doctor-advised
amounts).

My personal opinion is that if your child was on a strict gluten-free diet
to begin with, he would not have had to be diagnosed with H-Pylori because
he wouldn't have been presenting the symptoms of H-Pylori.  H-Pylori is a
default diagnosis from a doctor who doesn't understand Celiac Disease.

Another members daughter: Before becoming acutely sick with celiac she had several different
antibiotics and was on prevacid, aciphex then nexium.  She got worse
on Maalox and on the acid suppressing pills.  The only thing
that helped her with reflux, gas, pain was iFLORA probiotic from
www.sedonalabs.com and the specific carbohydrate diet.  Both were
dramatically helpful.
A stomach that is too alkaline favors bad bacterial growth.  You
might learn a lot reading at the website www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
Their stuff helped us a lot.

My doctor warned me about the treatment. He said that normally when you take antibiotics, you feel better. This would feel way worse. He was right.

My cousin had this and she went to the mayo clinic website and found a website www.manukahoneyusa.com she tried antibiotic after antibiotic and nothing helped and she tried this and it helped, well I had leaky gut and tried it and I love it. When you first try it the honey does not taste that great but after you eat it for awhile you get used to it. I would put it on a banana  or mix it with peanut butter.

Thanks again everyone and best of luck to all who are going through this.

*******
*******