From:
Naomi Durrance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:33:48 -0400

Dear Listserv members

About a week ago I asked for help on the Listserv in finding a GF
antacid and was amazed at the number of kind and helpful people who
replied fast.

I had called the makers of Maalox, Johnson & Johnson, who told me none
of their antacids are GF.  They were kind enough to send me some coupons
and a list of their safe products, such as Lactaid tablets and various
Tylenols.  If anyone wants, I will type up the list and send it on to
you if you will Email me personally.

I was interested in a comment in the form letter J & J  sent me:

"Glutens are naturally-occurring proteins found in grains such as wheat,
rye oats and barley, but are not found in corn."

I question the accuracy of that last clause.  Corn DOES contain gluten.
Would anyone who is more knowledgeable than I care to comment?

I tried to thank by Email everyone who answered my call for help; if I
missed some, please forgive me.  I would particularly like to thank
Vance, who really went above and beyond in giving me info. and advice.

GF antacids recommended:

2 people said they were on Tums for calcium and were concerned that Tums
might no longer be available.

Digel (2)

Gelusil (1)

Pepcid AC (1)

OTC Tagamet (1)

Gaviscon liquid or pill (2)

Titralac, obtainable at Wal-Mart (2), recommended by one member "in the
big red bottle"

Rolaids (3)

Wal-Mart's brand of Pepto (1)

CalMint chewables from Freeda's (1)

Formu Care Calcium Antacid tablets from Amway

One person told me that she has heard Alka Seltzer Gold is nothing but
cornstarch and baking soda.  No comment on that one.

Naomi D. Durrance
2184 Heritage Trace Drive
Marietta GA 30062