Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:50:26 -0700

I'm really enjoying my cheap little Cuisinart hand held blender.
Yesterday, I mustered the courage to make mayonnaise according to a
method I saw on TV.  I simply put ALL the mayonnaise ingredients in the
bottom of a quart jar, inserted the blender to the bottom of the jar &
mixed until done.  It worked!  And it was SO easy.
        EZ Mayonnaise recipe.  Put ingredients in the bottom of jar in the
following order:  1 egg,  1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/4 teaspoon paprika,
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons cider
vinegar, 1 cup mild flavored cold pressed salad oil (any oil will do
except olive which is too strong flavored for my taste).  Blend until
thick & smooth.  I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me.  (I
don't recommend this all-at-once method for standard blenders.)
        This recipe can be made with two egg yokes or two egg whites instead of
one whole egg.
        If you do have a mayonnaise failure, the ingredents can be recovered.
Start over with one egg and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar in the bottom of
a standard blender or the bottom of a jar.  Pour in one tablespoon of the
failed mayonnaise.  Start the blender on lowest speed & pour in remaining
failed mayonnaise mixture in a thin stream until done.  Stop & scrape
sides as needed during mixing.  Of the dozens of times I've made
mayonnaise, I've only had one failure and this method worked just fine to
save the batch.
        If your mayonnaise seems to thin, don't worry, it will thicken up a bit
as it sits in the frigerator. --Valerie in Tacoma
----------
A really easy way to clean these [hand held blenders]- put soap & water
in a glass, turn on for a
few seconds, rinse & let dry.  Pam
Q: Excuse my ignorance, but was your recent post about devices that could
mix bread dough.  Jim

A:  No.  Hand held BLENDERS are not the same as hand MIXERS.   Hand held
blenders aren't designed to mix dough; They are only designed to mix
batters & liquids.  To mix bread bread, brownie or cookie dough you'd
need a hand MIXER or a stand MIXER, with it's detachable beaters or dough
hooks -OR- a wooden spoon & lots of elbow grease.  Valerie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!