From:
Sheila Darbyshire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:12:35 -0000

Hello Everyone

After months on a waiting list, I finally got to see the dermatologist
today.  He said DH was a very rare disorder and he doubted if I had it.  I
described what I thought was classic DH but a very mild case and he said
that DH always covers the body in enormous blisters and causes extreme
illness.  I have had blisters but at the moment only have itchy spots that
feel and look like miniature cold sores.  He also says that you can have DH
without having celiac disease, which I thought was untrue (?).  He tells me
that DH does not ever cause mild skin conditions with terrible itching like
mine,  and that I must have another less severe form of skin problem.  So
why does it  always worsen if I consume gluten or if I eat shellfish?  He
has put me on a waiting list again for skin biopsy at my request, but it
will take about 7 - 9 months on the British National Health Service.  I have
another 5 months to wait for endoscopy and colonoscopy for the gastric
symptoms.  It takes forever in this country. I am supposed to stay on gluten
while I wait.  Does anyone have any comments on what he said?  What are the
other list members opinions on so-called 'mild DH' - does it exist, and are
the biopsy results always reliable?

Sheila