From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:52:42 -0700

For those Celiacs with sensitive skin, I called 3M today regarding their First
Aid Tapes and their Bandages (bandaids).  All of these have gluten free
adhesive.  Many of them are also hypoallergenic.

Background:

I have had a problem with developing welts on my skin from the adhesive when
using Johnson and Johnson's bandages.  My dad's girlfriend is also a Celiac, and
she has the same trouble with their bandaids.  I put a call out to J & J on
9/9/97.  They still do not have a response for me as of 10/15/97.  They did say
that most likely the ingredients of the adhesive is proprietary, and they doubt
they would be able to release the information.  The consumer assistance person
told me that this welting is not a common problem, so it is low priority.  They
will not mail a response to me either, nor get back to me on the phone.  I have
to keep checking back on the status.  I am supposed to call back in about a
month.  Not too consumer friendly I guess.  Well I have given up on them.  Which
is why I checked out the store for alternatives.

Alternative:

Today I bought One Inch "3M Active Strips" which have gluten free,
hypoallergenic adhesive.  I am going to give these a try the next time I need a
bandage.  I bought them at Walgreens.  It is nice to know that they will be
available all over the US since Walgreens has stores nation wide.  3M also has a
large market in Europe, so they may be available over there too.

If anyone has trouble with these bandages, please let me know.

Abigail
---
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/
Join the Monday night Celiac chats from 8PM - 10PM ET
and the celiac forum at: http://www.medsupport.org