From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 19:26:09 EST

Being new to celiac, I'm also reading much as I can on CD.

I'm looking at my family background.  Here's what has come up for me:

My mother had hepatitis (viral and serum types, circa 1956) which was soon
followed by diabetes (adult onset)  and then severe osteoporosis.  In her
latter years she became chair-ridden, having suffered a hip fracture (which
did not heal well) and also experienced low energy, some weight loss, and a
full feeling after eating a relatively small meal.  Now I wonder if she was an
undiagnosed celiac?  Her father died from pancreatic cancer and pernicious
anemia.  Would these also be celiac-related?

My brother's adult son has rheumthoid arthritis.  I read in Bette Hagman's
book that R.A. is also celiac-related.  Additionally, brother's adult daughter
is a late-diagnosed ADD, which is also an oft-mentioned symptom of CD.  My
other neice has stubborn, recurrent ear infections for the past two years
which have not been responsive to various medical and alternate  treatments.

I have no children.

My readings have suggested warning parents, siblings, and children for
possibility of inheriting CD.  What about the children of siblings?  Even if
the sibling may not evidence symptoms of CD.

Mildred Oberkotter of New YOrk City