From:
Trish Deitemyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trish Deitemyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:27:45 -0400

This is the summary of responses I received regarding traveling to Boulder, CO.

<<There is a local Boulder Colorado group. Their contact
information is on our Denver CSA Website. Go to
http://www.geocities.com/csadenver17/ then click on CO Groups.

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado, about 50 mile northeast of Boulder. Boulder
is a very hip town, and there are tons of places to eat safely -- Siamese
Plate, sushi everywhere, Mexican everywhere, Wild Oats markets and another
huge fresh market that you'll go crazy for. There's a Denver chapter of the
celiac sprue association, so their website may have recommendations for
restaurants.
In Estes Park there aren't many places I know of. It's pretty touristy, and
the best restaurants are classic pasta and pizza places. In Allenspark --
about 15 miles out of Estes on Highway 7, there's a fabulous 4 star
restaurant called the Fawnbrook Inn. There's also a great inn called the
Baldpate Inn. They have a nice restaurant, but are known for their pies (sigh
-- bummer). I still found some safe foods to eat there.
Still, if you shop in Boulder and take your food with you on your outing to
Rocky Mountain National Park, you should be fine.

There is a huge Whole Foods Market in Boulder, Colorado. See www.wholefoods
.com for locations.

I'm leaving for Boulder on Monday - I did some informal checking-0 there are
several veggie restaurants in town that I have heard informally are pretty
flexible. There is also supposed to be a Jax seafood house which will steam,
etc for you. If you hear of any others before Monday I'd really appreciate
knowing - (I've been GF for about 5 years, including 2 years with a job on
the road so I have learned to wing it pretty well, and my family is very
flexible, so I often don't plan ahead. In general eating at finer
restaurants gives more flexibility, but they aren't always kid-friendly.

A few months ago, my husband and I had a lovely lunch at Trios. 1155 Canyon
Blvd, near downtown Boulder. 303 442-8400. www.triosgrille.com
the chef that came and talked to me was John Trejos. He offered to fix me
some fish, off-menu. My husband has learned to get what I order. We were
both very pleased. I hope you go there, and tell him they were referred by
another celiac with good reports of Trios. If I lived there, I would eat
there often.

You are going to a very celiac friendly town - I lived in Boulder for 2 years
(2 of my children are still there) and I found that almost all restaurants are
very accommodating. There is an active support group there and the owner of
the local cooking school is a celiac. Partly because many Boulder residents
are food eccentrics, they are used to diet questions. Also a very educated
work force and usually quite helpful. College students there have diverse food
interests so lots of choices. Boulder has wonderful restaurants and the
groceries all have gluten free offerings with the possible exception of
Safeway - at least when I was there Safeway seemed not to be good at "health"
foods, but that was 3 years ago. Alfalfa's (Wild Oats was founded in Boulder
and this is their upscale store) and Whole Foods are the biggest and best.
Estes Park at entrance to Rocky Mountain Natl Park is not as easy however, as
the restaurants are more traditional - but you can stick to the simple
choices.>>