From:
"Peter L. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:04:06 -0500

First I will say that the folks in the Nashville support group gave me some
good advice.  Thanks to all.  Here is the edited version:

       As you may know the veggies at Cracker Barrel are O.K.  Pintos,
carrots,cooked apples,corn,greens and the cider is always apple but I have
them make sure each time. The potatoes are real potatoes, but I'm not sure
of the margarine in them. I always stop there when we're traveling.

      If you like India type food,  Shalimar at Green Hills is very good,
and they know what no gluten no flour means. It's not close to Opryland but
worth the hunt if you like curries.

anyhow -- the BEST and
second best places for buying gf supplies are not too close to Opryland.

SUNSHINE GROCERY at 3201 Belmont Blvd.  is closest.  It is about 2 miles
south of Music Row - near center of town.  call them at 297-5100 --- If it
was impossible for you to drive there, you could call them and by credit card
order their ready made gf stuff and pay them to deliver it - via local or
national delivery service.  they have the usual gf breads, great Pamela's
cookies, and general health food fare such as gf cereals, gf /corn free sodas
(natural juice flavored)....  organic produce, and a prepared salad, deli
section.  they know what wheat free and gluten free mean.....sherry sloan or
donny safer there know a lot about gluten free products, so you could talk
with either before and charge it, have them deliver it to hotel, if you don't
have a car available.

Other place is PRODUCE PLACE, located about 2 1/2 miles west of
Music Row, and another branch way out in Bellevue.  I am sure you
could talk to either owner, Barry or David, and work out a similar
arrangement for charging order, and then paying for a delivery to hotel.
1) Produce Place, 4000 Murphy Road, 383-2664 (closer of 2)
2) Produce Place, 7107 Hwy 70 S., 662-1184  (big selection, but far)

My best recommendation for GF dining is a bit of a drive from Opryland, in
Franklin -- probably 30 min.  drive:  Herberts Bar-B-Q, 111 N.  Royal Oaks
Blvd, (615) 791-0700 --you can have a complete meal:  pulled pork bar-b-q,
"NO BREAD on the plate," green beans, coleslaw, and at night, you can request
a baked potato.  One of our groups' members, Maureen, works there, and she
knows what is and is not GF.  Near Opryland, if a group goes, there is
*nothing* GF at Cock of the Walk Restaurant, a tourist destination.

J. Alexander's is pretty good at accomodating special diet needs, and
O'CHarley's offers grilled fish, lettuce wedge and baked potato.

Another caveat:  101st Airborne Restaurant, near the airport gets low marks on
GF possibilities at their popular brunch.

Green Hills Grille 2122 Hillsboro Rd 383-6444  gets high marks in effort to
please.  You may need to call on Friday to ask them to save an un-marinated
chicken breast for a week-end meal, but the chefs have always done a good job
in making a GF meal.  This is close to the two health food stores, if you want
to make one large trip out, but Good Life tends to close by 6:00, I believe.

 Peter Warren
 Blacksburg, VA, USA