From:
W R Baxter MLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:46:33 +1100

I was overwhelmed by the many supportive responses.
For clarification to those people, yes I was biopsy diagnosed with cd in
March 1997 at age 38 following a suspicion by my gynaecologist.

The responses ranged from:
1) Try an elimination diet - monitored by a medical professional.
2) undertake food allergy tests - in USA IGg4 blood tests good for
   detecting food allergies. I have contact details.
   (I don't know about in Australia but will check out the Royal Prince
   Alfred Allergy Clinic, Sydney as recoommended by the NSW Coeliac Soc.)
3) consider fructose as one of the allergies.
4) others wondered why I was looking for a further diagnosis when
   knowing that I already had cd.  (I guess that's just the way the doctors
   had me convinced that it was not cd associated - and my family has
   history of bowel cancer(grandmother and 3 aunties both sides), stomach
   ulcers, hiatus hernia & reflux(father) gallbladder stones(mother),
   ulcerated colitis, colon polyps(sister) - so needed to eliminate these.)
5) coeliacs have trouble digesting fats as do other digestive disordered
   people - cut back to two tablespoons a day and monitor. Check this out
   on the list's archives.
6) suspect that celiacs may become sensitized to other foods, through
   leaky gut syndrome, or simply by the immune system becoming aggravated
   and supersensitive through its responses to gluten. - keep a food and
   symptom log.
7) try a paleolithic diet which is also GF but is all natural foods -
   inc. meat, fish, some vegetables, some nuts, fruit and berries. Paleo
   food info available on http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/.

Thanks so much for all this info. I certainly feel better, emotionally,
as a result of all this support and can trust myself now to know that
the pain is in my "stomach" (term used loosely) and not in my head.

Kathy Robison
Albury, Australia