From:
Bronwyn Syiek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bronwyn Syiek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:57:21 -0700

I was first diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  But simultaneously asked
for a celiac test and was positive for that.  A number of celiac
patients have both.  But, so far (two years) I don't take any drugs for
Crohn's as as soon as I went on a gf diet the "severe" crohn's symptoms
cleared up.  In the last few years, I have had several "crohn'slike
flares" but each time I have isolated a source of gluten that I have
taken consistently for two weeks (yes, yes, seems hard that that could
occur, but one incident was when I ate candy recommended on the Celiac
Association website, that turned out to have gluten in it).

My question is:  Do any of you seem to experience gluten ingestion as a
trigger for a Crohn's flare?  I am keen to correspond with any folk that
do.  So far (and gluten free for nearly two years now) the only times I
get sick are when I get gluten by mistake (e.g. pharmacist substituted a
drug that we had done considerable research on).  I am trying to
establish whether other folk have the same experience --- whether or not
you've been diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  The difference between
Crohn's diagnosis and Celiac, as far as I can tell, is that Celiac is
just stomach - Crohn's includes ulcerations of the colon and rectum and
often infections of the same.

Thanks, I will summarize the results of any dialogue I have.

*******
*******