From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:47:48 +0100

During our recent trip to Denmark etc, we were pleased to
discover that Haribo sweets (candy) in Denmark have a note
on the pack if they are GF (it says "Glutenfri" in the small
print).  Karin loves salt liquorice and a pack of "Piratos"
was clearly marked as GF.

As we left Denmark, we were unable to spend the last few
coins and stopped LESS THAN A KILOMETER from the border in
Germany to buy a few bits to use these up.

Haribo "Piratos" in the German pack are NOT GF!  Only
careful inspection of the contents list showed this.  We
were able to translate "modified starch" from the German.
We had bought the previous (GF) pack less than 10 Km away!

So it is not just between the US and Canada that these
changes occur.

Regards

David

PS All Danish foods are required to have the full contents
declared, so if you are in Denmark you should either be
able to judge for yourself or be able to get someone in the
shop to check the ingredients list for you.  We asked in a
small town supermarket and they said they thought they had
people who could speak enough English help English
speakers with this (and they were very helpful to us), so
there shouldn't be too bad a problem.  If you speak/read
Danish the Brugsen/Kwickly chain publish a list of all the
GF food they supply, but you have to order this.

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209