From:
RomRider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:52:41 -0700

First off thanks for all the responses to my concern about Pert Plus
Dandruff shampoo... I am now convinced this was the culprit, all but one
of the responses said they had the same troubles with shampoo not
nessesarily Pert... I do have one more thing to say about DH...

I have been on Dapsone since my diagnosis in the 80's who knows when
that was I guess I should find out the official date... Anyhow, I just
recently had a HUGE scare since I had not been following the diet for
about 4 years eating all the gluten I could find just to build up a sort
of tolerance.  Well, following some bad pains I was brought ot the
emergency by my wife, found out I had an ulcer and while they were down
there looking at the tear they decided to let some students have a look
at my celiac.  When I woke up I had two doctors looking down at me with
a look I can only describe as sympathetic, they told me that there were
growths all over the inside of my stomach and severe damage caused by
gluten ingestion.

 Let me tell you something here, up until that day I felt as though I
had beaten this thing called Celiac.  If you are like me ignoring the
diet for whatever reason.. it's enormous cost factor, the inconvenience
or just plain ignorant.. mabey even in denial that you are even a
Celiac.. let me assure you nothing is scarier than finding out that you
have a 50 to 100 percent chance of dying of Cancer if you don't start
following your diet...

Anyhow, imediately following this discovery I went to my Pharmacist to
find out some more info about this Dapsone aka Avlosulfon that I had
been taking for years.  Turns out the medication itself has an
ingredient called GLUTEN... yes, i'm not kidding you... if you have DH
and have been taking Dapsone it might be a good idea to contact your
Pharmacist to find out what is in your pill...

for the mean time I am still taking the pill to control the DH  since I
have a bad case of it..  But on Tuesday i'm going to ask them to search
for an alternative company that makes Dapsone.  If they can't find an
alternative then I may be taking a few months leave of absence from my
workplace to try to ride out the storm so to speak and let the DH take
it's course till I am totally gluten free... It's going to be horrible
but I have got to get myself 100% gluten free...  I have a wife and
three kids to think about.. I want to be there for them...

I am not trying to scare anyone, but please understand that you may
think you have beaten it by ingesting loads of gluten, but when the
pains start and your doctor tells you what they see inside you too will
have a change of heart... your better off to learn from someone who has
been there...

Previously in denial