From:
Violla Orloff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Violla Orloff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:29:41 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Many thanks!  My request for the GF mandel bread recipe was instantly satisfied!  Here is the recipe for all to enjoy.

Vi Orloff

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions for adapting this recipe.  =
This is my mother-in-law's "famous" recipe. I made them today, gluten =
free,  for the first time and it was a success!  Please note all dry =
ingredients are measured in a pyrex liquid measuring cup-that's how =
Sylvia did it.  The prune are the best.

ingredients:  =20
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
one quarter cup finely chopped walnuts
3 and one half cups flour-I used Bob's Red Mill GF replacement
2 and one quarter teaspoon baking powder
1 and one half teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top
prune lecvar, cherry preserves and or apricot preserves for the filling

Beat eggs.  Mix in oil, sugar and vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients as you =
add them.  Divide dough into 8 very equal pieces.  Take a section of =
dough and roll into a snake. Stretch and pat on your hand to flatten a =
bit.  Place on non stick cookie sheet.  Press dough until it is about =
one quarter inch thick, about 2 inches wide and 9 inches long.  Repeat =
with 3 more sections of the dough.  Spread jelly on each.  Don't use too =
much-it will run out and stick to the pan.  Roll 4 more snakes, flatten =
and cover the jelly.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 for =
about 30 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Slice on diagonal.  Place pieces =
on their jelly-filled edges (it helps to remove some at first so it's =
easier to fit them all) and return to oven for 5 minutes.  Remove from =
pan while still hot.

Laura

*******
*******