Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:05:41 -0500

Well, some of you warned me I would be bombarded by opinions and I was.
Thank you everybody for trying to help me understand this issue better.

 Most people firmly stated that "gluten intolerance" is just another name
for celiac disease, and that to reccomend temporary withdrawal from gluten
was poor advice.  To put everyone's mind at ease who is worried about this
relative, she is already deceased, I just found about her condition thru the
family grapevine while trying to discover how two of my kids ended up with
this illness I had never heard of before.

Two people responded that they had been diagnosed as "gluten intolerant" and
told to eat "low-gluten" diets or to "try to avoid" gluten.  But they each
stated they had not gotten blood tests or biopsies....this makes me
concerned that they are truly celiac and need better medical guidance.

One person said she is "allergic" to gluten, but not celiac.  Another person
said you can have "wheat intolerance" and may only need to stop eating wheat
for a temporary period, and then may be able to re-introduce, but if you are
"gluten intolerant" then that is celiac and the diet is forever.

One person complained that the list should better define these terms.

Several people complained very bitterly about the medical profession.
While I have also had my share of struggles with certain doctors, I have
also benefitted from the care and attention of some wonderful
doctors.....let's not assume the worst, okay people?

One responder sent a list of websites so I can get better educated:

  http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/faq.html" ...
                                     Celiac Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  http://www.csaceliacs.org/ ....................... CSA/USA Offical Website
  aol://5863:126/mB:106641:501 ........................... Celiac Questions?
  http://www.gluten-free.com/ ............ Gluten-Free Diet & Celiac Disease
  http://www.aafp.org/patientinfo/celiac.html ...
                  Celiac Disease - March 1, 1998 - American Family Physician
  http://www.idsl.net/celiac/ ................... Clan Thompson Celiac Pages
  http://www.celiac.com/forbiden.html ...
            Safe & Forbidden Lists For Celiac Disease And A Gluten-Free Diet

Hope this helps others.

 P.S. on the issue of gluconolactone....two people wrote to ask me if the
FDA info applied to modified food starch...neither gave me their address, so
cannot apply directly....sorry, I cannot answer that question.  The info I
was given said products derived from food starch must be from corn starch
unless otherwise specified.