From:
Linda Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 00:51:35 +0000

This weekend we baked a milk-free, gluten free version of Amish Friendship
Bread which was the moistest Bread/Cake.  The Wheat eaters were fighting
over the last piece.  The bread is more like a cake or moist sweet bread.
(I used the pudding but the bread was so moist that I think it would be good
if the pudding was omitted.  I have only baked the bread once so there is
room for improvement but it was good.)

Amish Friendship Bread

The wheat version had a 10 day ferment period.  Since I did not have the
correct starter I used Sour Dough starter and started at the 6th day of the
ferment period.

first day
In a gallon Ziploc   Add 1 cup of rice flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup of milk or
substitute (1/3 c coffeemate and 1 cup water), and about 3/4 cup of sour
dough starter (recipe below) --  mush bag (it may be lumpy)  Leave the bag
on the counter - Do not refrigerate.  Do not use a metal spoon.

Day 2, 3, 4
Mush the bag : let the air out two times per day at least.  Only open the
bag a small space

Day 5
Add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk (or substitute).  Stir
and then I divided the mixture into 3 equal portions.  I froze two for
future Baking (no need to ferment just mix and bake).

Put one portion in a big bowl and add 1/2 cup oil, 1 cup of milk (I used
formula here), 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla.  Mix. Mash two ripe bananas (optional)
mix with the liquids.

In a separate bowl mix 2/3 c cornstarch, 1/4 cup soy flour, 1 cup plus 1
TBSP rice flour, 1 cup of sugar, 3 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp
salt, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1 cup chopped pecans (optional), and 1 large (6
serving) box of instant pudding (I used Royal with no problems - this could
be omitted)(Flavor recommended vanilla or chocolate or lemon). Mix with
whisk then add to liquids and mix thoroughly.  (Raisins may also be added if
desired)

Grease 2 large or 4 small loaf pans.  Mix some cinnamon and sugar and
sprinkle on the bottom of the pans.  Fill pans 2/3 full and sprinkle any
remaining sugar on top.  Bake 350=B0F until tests done - it took 1.5 hours for
mine.  Raising the temperature and shortening the cooking time will probably
be worthwhile.  Let bread cool before removing from pans.

Note:  This is an adaption of amish friendship bread which wheat bakers
divide the fermented starter the into four one cup potions and bake the
rest. The one cup portions are given to friends to ferment themselves.  I
doubted that many people I know would be interested in wheat free starter.

Sour Dough Starter:  in four cup plastic bowl mix, 1 cup water, 2.25 tsp
yeast (1 PKG), 1.5 cups white rice flour. Mix it will be thick.  Cover
loosely and let stand in a warm place for 1-3 days.  Stir 2-3 times a day.
Then use for baking or refrigerate.

To replenish starter: have 1 cup starter left over.  Add 1 cup water, 1.5
cups rice flour, cover loosely and let stand in warm place 12 hours.  Then
use in baking or refrigerate.

Linda Ritter   St. Louis, MO