From:
The Cooks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Cooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:03:56 -0500

Does anyone know the relationship between celiac and down syndrom?
My son was born with down syndrom last year. Around the time of his birth and after my daughter had some health problems and a friend recommended I seek CD testing. The doctors thought I was crazy for requesting it and didn't want to do it, but blood testing and biopsy were positive. I've converted my whole family to the diet and we're doing great. But I went to a local celiac support group meeting 2 months ago. The president basically said I must have celiac disease too and that my having celiac caused my son to have down syndrom. I have not been tested and its pointless since I am gf now. But we have since learned that CD runs in my husband's family (the relatives come out of the woodwork when you get any diagnosis--"just like grandma and cousin joe"). I found the support group meeting unpleasant because this woman treated me in such a condescending and accusing manner. I won't go back.
So, does a mother's CD cause down syndrom?
Or
Does having down syndrom make it more likely CD will show up if it is already in your family? To me, as a scientist, this explanation makes more sense.
Does anyone know where the research is on this?
Thank you
Betty