From:
John Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:52:24 -0500

Sorry for my earlier individual posts. I'm on many other lists that desire
instant conversation, and was unaware of etiquette for this one. So I'm
posting an early summary to attempt to fix my original faux pas.

FIBER & FOOD:

Many suggestions for food-based fiber. These are not strong enough for my
situation (side effect of strong narcotic), although I do use most. May also
help others with lesser problem:

€  1000 mg of fish oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons of flax seed pretty much
everyday
[NOTE: I also take flax every day. It's great for many effects of Celiac
Disease, including neurologic. Be careful to either use Fortified Flax, or
supplement with vitamins that flax depletes. Great source is Paul Stitt of
Natural Ovens of Manitowoc. It's not a gluten-free bakery, but he is a flax
expert, and happily shares information. Look them up on the web, or call and
ask for further info.)

€  Prune juice, grape juice, Watermelons, grapes. Raisins and other fruit.
A good sum of water everyday. Lots of fluids.
If you live near a Stater Bros Market - their No Sugar Added Ice Cream is
gluten free - but has sorbital and mannitol, and if you eat more than 2 cups
of it -- you won't need a laxative - especially the Cherry Vanilla - it's
loaded with cherries... Some sugar free candies that don't have gluten have
mannitol, etc and they will make you have to "go" too.

€  Prunes, stewed prunes, dried prunes, apricots

ACCORDING TO CVS (SEE SEPARATE "CVS LIST" EMAIL), THIS IS NOT GLUTEN FREE:
€  I get good releif from OTC stool softeners. Currently I am taking CVS bra
d stool softer sodium-free.  (active ingredient Ducusate Calcium inactive
ingr corn oil, fd&c red #40 gelatin, glycerin, and sorbital may also contain
D&C red #33, FD&C blue, methylparaben and purified water.  This is $12 for
100 capsules (and I get calcium). The cvs brand regular brand of stool
softner (with sodium) runs under $3/ per bottle.  I take 1 to 3 gel caps a
day. Wahen (not if)  I need FAST RELIEF (less than 3 times /year) I
purchasea $1 bottle of magnisium citrate (thats the only ingredient in it)
and take the full 10 oz over lots of ice (its a saline lavage that most
people need only 1/2 bottle for relief.

OTC MEDICATIONS:

€  Colace (many not gluten-free, check with manufacturer)

€  Senokot Tablets  (This is similar to what I had tried, and was not gluten
free. Have not checked to see if this brand is OK or not.)
  ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Each "S" stamped, light brown, sugar free tablet
contains 8.6 mg standardized sennosides.
NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: Corn starch, magnesium stearate and
microcrystalline cellulose.
Senokot S Tablets   -- Which you might prefer for drug induced
constipation.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Each orange, film coated Senokotฎ€S tablet, stamped
S/S on one side, contains 8.6 mg standardized sennosides and 50 mg
docusate sodium.
NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: Corn starch, D & C yellow # 10, FD & C
yellow # 6, guar gum, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium
stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, silicon
dioxide, titanium dioxide.

€  Fibercon

PRESCRIPTION:

€  Miralax is gluten free but it takes a prescription. I work at Hospice
where we use a lot of narcotics that are very constipating. We use Senna
(Senakot) and Biscodyl (Dulcolax) and as far as I know it is gluten free.
Milk of Magnesia is also gluten free and works well for me.

€  Glycolax (very cheap, available generically).  There's no reason why it's
not available OTC aside from political reasons, it's much safer to take on a
regular basis than any of the OTC laxatives (in fact, it is designed to ONLY
be taken long-term).  If you have a stupid doctor, he'll tell you can only
take it for 2 weeks, but if you're doctor isn't a total moron (like most),
he'll understand how the drug works and that many people have taken it
for years for chronic constipation.

€  Zelnorm 1-2 pills daily

€  Imitrex

So many thanks to all who have responded so far. In my case, I've tried (and
continue most) fiber and food-based methods, but they aren't strong enough
for my condition, caused by strong narcotics. Fake and incomplete sugars of
any type are very problematic for me also, such as sorbitol and the list of
now dozens of others. I Will be looking into all options, however, as well
as any others anyone might have. ‹-John