From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:50:24 -0400

[log in to unmask] said:

>>This pillow is filled with buckwheat hulls and is covered in a 100%
>>cotton cover.  Would this present a problem to someone with CD?

Buckwheat is a known, medically documented,  allergen of the IgE class
(Type I hypersensitivity reaction). Asthmatic reactions are the most
common but lots of gastrointestinal (food allergy) responses also.
Apparently the reaction is due to the kernel, not the hull.

See the buckwheat allergy article link at the following address for a
statement from the Lang pillow company followed by the medical
documentation in the form of a published article:

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu:80/buckwheat.html

Buckwheat is a dicot; grasses are monocots. Look at the photograph of
buckwheat on the above page, even if an evolutionary tree of plants is not
to your liking. How can this be a source of gluten?

Those celiacs who also have allergies, of course, should be carefull with
any strong allergen, including  buckwheat. Indeed there's reference
(non-celiac) to analphylactic responses in the cited article.

                                  Kemp Randolph
                                  Long Island