From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 12:35:58 -0400

Dearest List Members,

Thank you!  Once again, you prove to be the most amazing resource...and not just because of the wealth of information and experience you all possess, but because of the amazing generosity you consistently demonstrate in taking the time to share it!  Thank you so very much!!!!

Overall, I learned of some new websites, great tips, great info on what to expect and just a lot of people on this list who were really generous with their time in resonding to my query.

While there were several less positive experiences, most were very reassuring.  I think the biggest things I take away from all of the responses are:  1) expect to need to wait; 2)  ask for chef/manager at EVERY eating establishment; 3) pack some snacks to carry just in case; 4) notify restaurants in advance (72 hours or more if possible) so they know you're coming and can be certain to have GF options available; 5) GF may be easiest at table service locations but is absolutely doable at quick service locations as long as you know expect it to be quick;

Below, please find a summary of responses for your reference.  Thank you SO very much, again!

Kim in PA

*For all sit down meals needing a reservation, tell at time of reservationand again at check in of celiac disease.  When seated ask to speak to chef.  At chef mickey (contemporary) and 1800 Park Faire (Floridian) they are both buffets -- chef will give you a tour of buffet saying what is ok and what is not.  Then he will ask what do you want that is not on buffet.  My daughter who has celiac disease was given the best meal ever and with flare and drama.  I took pictures of her food it was so amazing and presented so well.  People commented on the way out how fabulous her desert was.  This was the Cinderella dinner at the Floridian hotel.  We have always found dinner rolls, gluten free pizza crust, gluten free mac and cheese or pasta, gluten free chicken tenders.  Plus brownies and cookies.

*My husband also has celiac and every major establishment now also carries gf beer.

*We were there a month ago. No matter where you go, they know about GF. They usually get the chef to come out and take your order. They have delicious gf brownies and cookies all over the park. Just ask and you will be taken care of. Best place for celiacs!

*  http://orlandoglutenfree.com/gluten-free-walt-disney-world/    Try this website they have links to reviews by people how have been there.

*I had a great experience at disney last year.  They took me through the line of the buffet at crystal palace and explained everything i could eat and i even got a special piece of cake.
I think it was animal kingdom where i got a gluten free pizza.
I stayed at the french quarter and the chef was real good about helping me. I had chicken strips and french fries
I got helpful info on allears.net, and disboards too
I believe the mickey ice cream bars were gluten free too

*Disney was great - there are gf options at every quick serve restaurant (that's mostly where we ate).  When you order ask for a manager - the manager takes your order and gives it directly to you.  They serve sandwiches on Udi's buns, they had pizza (frozen Amy's at one place), etc.  Once place had chicken fingers and fries.  We had breakfast with the princesses, and they made me gf waffles.  Out hotel also made gf Mickey waffles.  There are so many gf options everywhere, there wasn't a place that wasn't accomodating.

*We were just there in December, and I found them to be amazing!!! First of all, when we made our dining reservations, there was a check box for people with food issues. When checked, it opened up a box with a list of different kinds of dietary concerns. I checked the GF box. Then, whenever we showed up for a reservation, they checked us in, and immediately asked who had the gluten allergy. It was amazing! At each restaurant, a chef came to the table to discuss my options with me, and then went off and made my meal. They gave me the impression (I never asked directly) that the person I spoke to was the person who made my meal, so they made me exactly what I wanted. At buffets, they would walk around with me and tell me what I could and couldn't have. I felt so taken care of. Now, I need to tell you, I do not have much reaction when I get glutened, and I do not seem to be terribly sensitive to cross contamination, so it is possible I got hit with some gluten while I was there. But I really felt like they were taking good care of me.  Even at quick service dining places, I let them know when I got there that I am GF, and they would send a chef out right away to discuss options with me.

*One person shared their fabulous Disney Cruise experience where there was fresh baked GF bread for dinner, etc.

*Both Via Napoli and Tutto Italia @ Epcot offer GF menus.  They also carry Le Veneziane pasta.

*We did the quick meals and it wasnt so quick.  We would wait in the long lines, but once you say allergy, then a manager has to come over to take your order. Once your order is taken it takes them quite some time to prepare the food so please go with your patience but it is nice they take it so seriously.  The gluten free options included a burger with gfree bun, grapes ina bag (yuck...i prefer fresh fruit), chocholate chip cookie or brown (never tried them),g free chicken nuggets, specially made fries (this is what i ate the most of...they bake them upon order and take forever but i didnt care for the other options), some places had gfree pizzas and there r some salads but i would bring your own salad dressing packets.  Our best meals were at the hotel and mostly for breakfast with specially made eggs, waffles or pancakes when we were at the grand floridian...again, u need a ton of time.  They have buffets but there is no guarantee if u risk getting food from them as even the wait staff used the same thongs that touched everything. The nice sit down restauraznts will accomodate.  They also send a chef to the table to talk about the allergy.  You will be fine if you go with your patience.  Our children r very young so it is much harder...even if we r patient they r not.  My daughter really was hungry alot and her transportable snack only go so far.  When hard upmwe did have the fresh fruit sold at some consession stands....bananas, fresh fruit bowls (real grape, mixed fruit, watermelon...those were the yummiest of all we ate).  They also have an edys ice cream parlor at the park that would be a nice option if not also allergic to milk like my daughter.  I pretty,much came home starving as i didnt want the garbage food and fruit isnt so filling and my kids couldnt handle the wait at the restaurants.

*Attached are the guides I found on the internet before we visited Disney World this past March.  They are a little dated so if there were vendor changes these may not be accurate.  However, as a guide to where you can find the GF food they are helpful.  Once you get to a counter service restaurant, the cashier will call over a manager who will either be familiar with their GF food items or bring a big binder with them. There are places with GF pizza, GF chicken tenders, GF burger buns and GF hot dog buns.  When the food is ready they will bring it out at the end of the counter after the entire prep process has been supervised. It takes an extra long time but people were generally very helpful and diligent.
If you are doing a sit down and are making reservations, be sure to tell them about your GF needs.  When you get to the restaurant they will give you a special food allergy ticket and the chef will personally come to your table to review the options.  Our kids had GF waffles shaped like Mickey's face!  At the Crystal Palace buffet a chef walked around with us and told us what was GF (they prepared GF waffles but unfortunately theirs were just Vans).
Basically, they are extremely familiar with and accommodating of all food allergies/intollerances - so much so I assumed it was a function of their risk management process!

*Try here.  It's a website that rates restaurants for being GF, but it recently added an entire Disney section!!
http://www.allergyeats.com/disney/