From:
Sue Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:18:33 -0500

After hearing on another forum that someone eats at this restaurant, we
headed over there yesterday during our lunch hour.  As you walk in, don’t
have a heart attack as you see someone behind the glass counter making
huge tortillas – it’s all corn!  You order at the counter and then sit down for
someone to bring you your meal.  Almost everything on the menu is gluten-
free, even the soups.  Just stay away from any that is fried (even if the
entrée is basically g-f because their churros are deep fried in the oil).  Their
tortilla chips are fried in this same oil, so stay away from them, BUT they will
serve you the guacamole and chips platter with “Tlayuda” instead of their
usual fried chips.  Tlayuda are huge corn tortilla chips fried on the grill (no
cross-contact with any gluten items) with your guacamole appetizer.  We
ordered this first, and it was absolutely delicious!

I ordered the chicken and cheese quesadillas (made with a huge, thickly
wonderful corn tortilla).  The first “real” quesadilla I have eaten since being
diagnosed 7 years ago.  My daughter ordered the Chicken Memelas (a thick
handmade corn tortilla, crispy on the bottom and topped with chicken, beans,
mole negro, queso fresco, cabbage, guacamole and salsa) – also delicious.
The corn soup with veggies was outstanding.

We ended our meal with their “Oaxacan Chocolate Experience” – OMG!  To die
for!  There are three chocolate items with this dessert – a shot of delicious
hot chocolate drink, a small flourless chocolate cake and a scoop of the
fudgiest chocolate ice cream I have ever tasted.  It was a grand end to a
wonderful meal.  The prices are so very reasonable, too.

Ron and Zaida Kent are the owners and guided us through every dish we
ordered.  I would suggest that you dine the first time a little before the lunch
and dinner rushes so you can have time to go over the menu with Ron and
Zaida, or give them a call like I did to ask them some questions.  Their phone
no. is (650) 321-8003 and their address is 2323 Birch Street in Palo Alto.
Enjoy!  I can’t wait to go back and enjoy their quesadillas again!

Sue

*******
*******