From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:14:56 -0500

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Don Wiss wrote:

> So then, the question we have to pose to each food manufacturer: is their
> annatto solely from this tree, or does it have other ingredients that fall
> into the loophole of not having to list ingredients of ingredients?
(snipped)

The problem with this approach is similar to the problem I have
encountered with companies such as Lact-Aid which ostensibly have a gf
product but will not make that claim since they cannot vouch for their
vendors.  I have serious doubts that many food manufacturers make their
own annato.  Any ideas out there as to how many sources of annatto there
are in the U.S.?  Perhaps we could go direct to the source?

Jane (in VA)