From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:24:16 -0500

Hi,

here is what my friend posted at an other GF site.  Thought I would share
it with you.  This is not an add and I live at an 8hr drive from the
restaurant, so dont have more info:

"I was going to name this post, "Nunc dimitis," which is Latin for,"Now
dismiss." It refers to a situation where a person is so fulfilled that he
or she is ready to pass on. OK, so it may be exaggeration...but last night,
I do think I glimpsed Paradise.

Long story, but we made the pilgrimage to Caffe Baldo. Long trip, too, what
with traffic and all, but we got there. It's a typical little NY pizzaria--
except for the big sign outside: WHEAT FREE GLUTEN FREE PIZZA.

Now, I was on a quest for what was to me a Holy Grail: a NY style GF pizza.
We had made our reservations the night before. I called, asked to speak to
the manager, and the guy who answered said, "If you want a job, come in for
an application!" But after I said, "Uh, no..I just want a gluten free
pizza," I got to speak to Joann, the owner, who has CD. Well, when we
arrived, Joann wasn't there yet, but we were greeted by her mother, who
understood everything.

The lovely young waitress, Maria, then completely upset my single-minded
mission by telling me I could have RAVIOLI!!!! AND any kind of pasta sauce
on the menu, with GF pasta. AND mozzarella sticks. AND pretty much anything
on the menu. And I'm thinking I'm having one of those tantalizing dreams.

In the end, though, I wanted what I came for. I make pizza--but I can't
make a NY style pizza. Only NY pizzarias can do that. Out it came: thin,
served on a big metal plate (protected by paper.) I cut a slice. I picked
it up. It folded in the middle, and that lovely red oil ran down. (OK--so
no one ever said a NY style pizza was Good For You.) I bit it. And I nearly
cried. It was THAT good. So was the next bite. And the next. And all the
others.

Now, pizza has been one of those few unsatisfied cravings. It took us over
three hours to get to Caffe Baldo. (We were actually in the area for a
wake...so at least I have an excuse.) But now I know that I CAN have NY
Style pizza. I might not have it often, at that distance, but I know I CAN.
And, you know, for me at least, that's all I need. I need to know I can. I
might not do it often--or even ever again--but I need to know I can.

The other thing that struck me was that this was a busy little NY pizzaria
that just HAPPENED to serve GF stuff. Which was also was good as the other
stuff. When I was there, there were two other groups that had a celiac
among them. But for the most part, they serve regular Italian food. It
didn't seem to be hard or a big deal to them, though they were clearly
aware of all that needed to be done. So...why isn't this a common thing? If
this little place on Long Island can do it...why can't nearly everyone
else? Yes, I know, they have a reason--Joann is celiac, and her son, the
chef, figured it all out. Oh, and has he ever! I brought home the ravioli,
had them for dinner tonight...WOW."

Here is the info:

CAFE BALDO
2849 JERUSALEM AVE