Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:52:53 -0500

Hi All--

I was reading about the AT-1001 pill that is getting so much press right now
- a gluten blocker, which prevents the autoimmune reaction in the small
intestine that results. So far, test results have been promising. Not a cure
for celiac disease and not a replacement for the GF diet, it would, however,
allow persons with celiac a more normal life.

Celiac disease, however, does not always present itself as an intestinal
illness - and frequently people may not exhibit any symptoms at all, or the
symptoms may be neurological. Many people on this list have negative
serologies and biopsies, yet improve on a GF diet. Some of us have been told
we're gluten intolerant or gluten sensitive.

Will AT-1001 help the thousands of patients who don't have an iron-clad
diagnosis proven by flattened villi...or is it aimed at only those celiacs
who have measurable intestinal damage? I'm not trying to be antagonistic
about this - I would really like to know. I think it's terrific that so many
people will be helped by this drug, if it's approved! I'm just not sure who
the target patient is.

Can anyone provide information or answers to my question? Thanks  ~~Ayn in
Alabama