Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 07:00:12 -0500

About two weeks ago I was "tentatively" diagnosed with CD, a
diagnosis that was disconformed yesterday when my doctor
called to say that the blood test was negative for CD.  I
had pretty much adjusted to a new dietary lifestyle, and had
begun strategies to cope, including beginning my search for
GF foods and cooking products and by making contact with
this incredible group on this Listserve. While I have new
tests planned for other conditions (such as lactose
intolerance) I persist in the physical symptoms that led to
the initial diagnosis - a persistence that made we wonder
about the diagnosis since I'd stayed GF for over a week.
During the last two weeks I came to a deep understanding of
how difficult it is in today's marketplace to make purchases
at restaurants and food stores that give reasonable
assurances for ourselves and our families that what we buy
does not contain ingredients that can harm us.  Perhaps,
after further tests, I shall discover some other dietary
trigger with its own set of problems that account for my
symptoms.  I can only hope when I do that I find a group
such as this one to help me.  My initial request for
information on "bread" and bread flower was met with many,
many helpful replies that - had I turned out to be CD -
would have been enormously helpful to me in meeting my
dietary needs..  You are an incredible group and your
willingness to share of your time and experience with others
is more than admirable.  Whichever way my physicians steer
me in the hunt for an answer to my problems, I will not
forget this brief but poignant experience of thinking I had
CD.  I would like to think that there will be opportunities
to make living with dietary restrictions as easier one than
I found CD to entail.  When one is not beset with such
problems it is easy to be blind to the practical
difficulties faced by others who are.  Our product labeling,
apparently adequate to the casual inspection by people
without dietary problems, is in my view in need of
improvement - but just how to do so, I have no idea.

Forgive the long-winded comment.  Part of me is happy that I
do not (apparently) have CD, and part of me is concerned
because I have something with similar symptomology that I
have not identified.  I would welcome comment on how needed
change in these matters might most effectively be achieved.

Thank you all for your kindness.  - Bob Ritchie, Amhest, MA