From:
Alec Maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 00:43:53 -0500

Hello all,

I received my saliva test results from Diagnos-Techs last week. I had
written about this test several months ago and was coincidentally sitting
down to report my results(as I had promised) when I noticed Bill Elkus'
synopsis from Cel-Pro.

I applaud the Pros who obviously jumped on this issue and reported back so
quckly.

After being Gf for five months, my saliva test(gliadin salivary IgA) came
back with a titer of 31 which is greater than "normal" of 13 or less. I was
told that my titer would have been in the 60s or 70s prior to going GF.
That is considered to be either high sub-clinical or low overt celiac. I
was also told that I am picking up gluten from somewhere, otherwise the
titer would drop further. To me it is very useful information to have. My
blood antibody IgA(gliadin) had a titer of near zero(.38) when I had it
tested last October which I just couldn't believe.

I don't disagree with the Cel-Pros. They obviously know their business very
well. I think that the saliva test has a very useful purpose but perhaps
not in the realm of life or death decisions. When I called the lab, they
said that the test was 95% accurate. The serum blood test is reported to be
99% accurate.

I found that the test matched what I was experiencing. Also, if the dietary
restrictions(no brushing teeth, coffee, brocolli, onions, etc. the day of
the test) are not followed exactly, it will invalidate the results.

So, I'm grateful that this is being debated and quantified. I just wanted
to add my feelings in the hope that the positive, useful aspects are noted
as well. I agree totally with the pros that it should not be used in life
or death situations until it has been proven or disproven and understood.

Thanks for listening. Alec

Alec Maines
Washington, DC