From:
Cindy Sippin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:25:23 EDT

I was reading a number of posts about how to handle various situations that
arise involving the public (i.e., restaurants, social events, etc.).  So many
people write that "it's just easier to say I have severe allergies" than to
explain CD.  Should we be doing the "easier" thing or take the time to
educate?

It just seems to me that with the push to get manufacturers to label their
products and the general consensus of the need to get the bill passed in
Congress regarding specific sources of gluten, not just common allergens --
we defeat our own agenda each time the "easier" road is taken.

I myself, do not have CD, but my young daughter does.  In my opinion, if we
all took the time to explain CD without going into gory details we would be
doing the general public a great service.  We all know the statistics for how
many undiagnosed celiacs there are in the US.  A few well spoken words on
each of our parts may help a stranger get diagnosed.  And there is definitely
power in numbers.  The greater the number of diagnosed celiacs, the easier it
will become to shop, purchase medications, and more.

Cindy
Mom to 1 Celiac - Caroline age 3

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/benjaline1/myhomepage/index.html">Raising Our Celiac Kids (ROCK) Chapter of Long Island</A>