From:
"Joe S. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 1995 17:50:20 -0400

>As we have all learned recently, the medical professionals have some
>both very informed, knowledgeable individuals who know, are researching
>and care about CD, and there are some who aren't near so knowledgeable.

Tim,
Sorry to throw rocks at your ideas but why should one doctor's opinion
or statement be more valid than another's?  The answer, quite simply, is
to have rigorous, experimental proof!  Individuals or groups who have
this proof *and can demonstrate its validity* publish their findings in
a vast number of journals that are read by most physicians; e.g. The New
England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet, GUT, and many more.  Find a
medical practitioner who has access to MedLine (your MD, your local
hospital library, a university library) and ask for a list of articles
in medical journals within the last year that have "celiac" or "coelic"
in the title.  There are hundreds!  Mary Alice read most that were
published from 1988 until June of 1994;  I read about 20% of them
(neither of us was formally educated in a medical field).  Most articles
are dry as dust and extreemly technical.  My point is that what you
suggest is and has been available.  Take some time and read some of
those articles; you will be better informed about what the medical
professionals are reading and what some of the current research is
showing.

If you wish to participate in CD research, contact someone like Bill
Elkus of the CDF ([log in to unmask]) or Dr. Joe Murray at Iowa
University ([log in to unmask]).

Joe S. Warren
Titusville, FL 32796-3902