From:
Will Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 00:27:49 -0700

> talk to me about hydrogenated vegatable oils. I try to restrict the family to
> olive/canola or soy oil, are these wheat free. The bottles say they are. Are
> you talking about the Wesson type vegatable oil?
> Candace

Read the label of almost any processed food.  They are loaded with
hydrogenated vegetable oils.  Unless the label specifically tells you
the source as corn, soy, etc., it is possible that wheat is the
source.

Another favorite of mine is the label ingredient "flavorings".  Many
such flavorings are made with wheat.

The issue here is processed foods, not Canola oil.  Read the
ingredients list of your Canola oil.  Unless it is some sort of
combination oil product that specifically includes a generic listing
of "hydrogenated vegetable oil" on the ingredient list, you don't
have to worry.  More than likely, Canola oil contains canola oil, period.

Note, no one is talking about "hidden" ingredients here.  The issue is
that the ingredient is clearly displayed on the ingredient list of
many processed foods, and celiacs simply never learn to read, or never
bother to learn what they are reading about.

Learn to read the ingredients of processed foods.  You can't make
progress in keeping wheat out of your diet unless you read and
understand ingredients of every single processed food that enters
your body.

Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: [log in to unmask]                Saratoga, CA  95070
                                        FAX: 408-446-1013