From:
Kathy Hathaway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Hathaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 21:11:10 -0700

Hair colors - Summary of the following question I asked earlier in the week...

Being new to this gluten problem, I thought it best to give up my wonderful Redken semi-permanent hair color.  The company sent a list of the gluten
 ingredients they use in their products and the list must include at least 40 gluten ingredients.
So now I need to find another hair color.  Does anyone have a list of gluten-free hair colors - specially salon-level products (but I'll take over-the-counter product, too).

Hi - I haven't checked with the
manufacturer for gluten ingredients, but I've been using Naturtint without
noticing any ill effects - and I've discovered in the bit over a year that I've
known about my gluten intolerance that I react to very tiny amounts of gluten
in food. With the exception of toothpaste, I haven't noticed any non-food
products bothering me. I buy the hair color at Whole Foods, but I recently
noticed it for a lot less via www.vitacost.com

Hello I am a professional hair stylist and I use Pravana hair color and Keune. And for sure they have semi permanent color. I as well have fine hair and I use 10 vol on roots and then I mist my hair with spray bottle and run the rest through the last 10 min. I have heard that with redken I used to use the color line then I got cd and could not. I hope this helps there is also a color line called Eco Colors look them up if you get a chance I have not used them but going to soon!  Take care!

People differ on how they wish to
handle this sort of thing, but the scientific fact is that gluten affects you
only if it reaches your gut. You cannot absorb the molecules through your skin.
Please forgive the redundancy if you already understand that; many people do
not. Some on this list have been certain that a skin rash was caused by
touching gluten. Certainly, it was caused by something, but it wasn't caused by
that.

Naturally, gluten ingredients on
your hands can easily reach your gut via your lips—say you wipe your mouth with
your hand, then lick your lips. Those can be semi-conscious gestures and thus
difficult to monitor. Or, perhaps you touch something that later touches food
you eat. However, you can avoid such problems with a little bit of
consciousness and care. As you may know, soap and water are all you need to get
rid of gluten on any surface, including skin and hair.

HAD TO DO A  SEARCH FOR MYSELF LAST FALL:

Wella  800 935
5273   Koleston Perfect (pem) or Color Touch (demi)   NO
GLUTEN

Matrix Color Sync (demi) NO GLUTEN

Logic Imorints-NO GLUTEN

So Color HAS gluten

Redkin/Goldwell-gluten

HOPE THS IS HELPFUL

I use herbatint sold at
health food stores. It has no gluten and is made with vegetables. There are a
few other manufactures but this works for me. The one that I use covers
well but the temporary one I have not used. I have tried Clairol 10 minute I
can't remember the exact name and I did not have a reaction. I did have a
reaction to the one in the salon (found out there was wheat) and have been using
the herbatint for a number of years and no problem. Good Luck

My reactions are joint related and stomach. My joints immediately
flared up after absorbing the wheat in the hair color. It did not affect my
stomach much.

The gluten is absorbed from the scalp although many people believe otherwise. I
never intentionally use or eat anything that might cause a problem. I never
cheat. I can only say that I would use wheat free color.

I honestly do not remember how long it lasted, most times if the joint reaction
is really bad, systemic, I end up on a cortisone pack. Fortunately it has not
happened for a while.

You also have to remember that everyone reacts differently. Some people do not
have any reaction, others like myself have major problems. If I ingest gluten
in a restaurant it is usually stomach and it is usually bad. Hope this helps

Henna! Yes it covers grey and lasts. Get the one called "Color the Grey" from Light Mountain. It lasts a long time if you do a good job...

Try Wella or maybe Aveda.

I don't actually understand why you need to find an alternate product.
Gluten isn't absorbed through the skin and as long as your not eating your hair
color it should affect you.  I am really new to this as well and I color
my hair regularly so if you find out something different please let me know.

Are you concerned because you get a skin reaction?  If
not, it shouldn't be getting into your mouth so you'll be fine.  I use
Clairol hair dye at home and although I have no idea what is in it, I never
become ill.

You
can use anything on your hair. You aren't going to eat it. The only thing I
avoid are products that coat the hair and aren't washed out, that can get on my
pillow and could get on my lips. But gluten is not absorbed thru skin or hair.
So you do not have to change hair coloring. Whoever said you did is wrong.

Kathy, please summarize when you get replies. I go to a Redken salon school
to get my hair cut and colored here in North Texas. When I found out I was
gluten intolerant a year ago, I mentioned this to my at-the-time hairdresser
who switched my color to a new line Redken has (part of the Nature's Rescue,
I think, though not sure). I no longer feel ill or get headaches when I
leave the salon. This color line may have gluten in it, but if it does,
there's not enough in it to bother me.  I would be interested to find out what you hear from others.I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses on this, but what I've understood for
many years is that the gluten molecule is too large to pass through the
skin.  The only way to have a reaction is from ingesting gluten.
I'd be interested to know if you hear anything to the contrary.The good news is that unless you are planning to eat your hair color, you
don't have to give it up. The protein part of gluten that give us problems
is much bigger than the pores on your skin and it cannot be absorbed through
the skin.
Hope this helps - you are coping with giving up a lot of things already. Why
give up things you don't have to.