Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:59:00 -0500

Thanks to everyone who got back to me. Your help is appreciated.

From someone who used to live in St Augustine, I learned:
The Columbia, located in downtown St Augustine at 98 St. George Street has a gluten-free menu posted on its website: http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/news_events.asp<http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/news_events.asp>

Items such as Spanish black bean soup, chicken and yellow rice, roast pork, shrimp criollo, paellas, lamb ribs, shrimp ajillo (garlic), snapper, filet mignon, flan, etc. are just a few of the items the Columbia Restaurant lists as being gluten-free. (They also have a terrific sangria - which is naturally gluten-free!)

You can also check the Conch House - they may be able to accommodate you.

With respect to stores, I discovered that Diane's Natural Foods Store located at 240 State Rd 312 (corner of Route 1) had a very good selection of gluten-free foods. In terms of restaurants, the Columbia Restaurant located in downtown St. Augustine at 98 St. George Street has a gluten-free menu posted on its website: http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/news_events.asp<http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/news_events.asp>

Le Pavilion Restaurant (European cuisine) is located down the street from the Castillo San Marco at 45 San Marco Avenue. Although the do not have a gluten-free menu, I found the wait staff to be very knowledgeable and they indicated that they frequently received gluten-free requests.

Also learned:
Le Pavilion European Restaurant(also downtown) does not have a gf menu, but their staff is very knowledgeable.

Matanzas Innlet Restaurant is located approx. 17 miles south of the downtown area and 1 mile north of Marineland is owned by a celiac. If you call ahead of time, she may be able to prepare gf pizza.

I have never been to Harry's Seafood restaurant near the Lions Bridge, but have been told that there are many gf steamed seafood options available.

The owner of the Matanzas sent this email:

I am the owner of a restaurant in St. Augustine and I am also a celiac.We are an Italian seafood restaurant on the Matanzas Innlet south of town. All of oour soups sauces and salad dressings are GF. We will prepare GF pasta for you on request.We also make a pretty good GF pizza Matanzas Inlet Restaurant
8805 A1A south
St. Augustine, Fl
904 461-6824