From:
John Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:29:09 -0400

Greetings!

Many moons ago I sent a message asking about Bayer Aspirin, Axert, and Systane and included a response I'd received from Bayer saying "However, we cannot guaratnee that our product is glutenfree..." I got some responses I'm finally summarizing. I got about five. The remarks in parentheses are mine.

1 complained strongly that aspirin was too expensive and that he cut his in half

1 suggested I go to the pharmacy, find the biggest bottles of several types of aspirin, copy the bar code number, lot #, etc, and ask various companies to check on one particular batch of their product  (didn't do this)

1 said Walgreens brand of enteric-coated 81mg aspirin is GF

1 said she got even a less a response from Bayer than I did and that hopefully if enough of us keep pressing companies they'll become more responsive (a good thought)

1 person informed me that the glutenfreedrugs.com website is old and not currently maintained!  He said the best site is
http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf  (it's good indeed, but I couldn't find axert, Bayer Aspirin, or Systane on it)

Upon further consultation with my PCP, my naturopathic doctor, and my rheumatologist, I've given up the whole idea of aspirin.  According to my rheumatologist, a new study has revealed it's not so beneficial for women.  I have chosen (my naturopathic doctor's suggestion) to take one Ginkgo Forte tablet every morning. It's from NF Formulas, Inc. She said it'd do no harm to my stomach ( I have IBS as well as Celiac) and would help to increase energy and also act as a blood thinner.  She  also suggested that instead of the Celebrex and Bextra that I'd been on that I take two Kaprex tablets per day.  Kaprex is from Metagenics.

Sorry this took so long.  I hope it may be of some help.

Kathie-Ann
Celiac in NH