From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:32:13 -0700

Hi All--

I have a chicken recipe pre-celiac dx that I would
like to convert to a gf casserole, but am having
trouble. I would appreciate any help anyone can
provide. This is the original recipe (with the help I
need in parentheses):

6 c. chicken broth
4 c. crushed soda crackers (our gf crackers, such as
those from Ener-G, contain more fat - what do I sub
here, and how much?)
2 c. cubed American or Velveeta cheese
1 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced or minced onion
1 tsp. salt
pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 c. cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (this acts as a
thickener - what should I sub here?)

Topping

2 c. crushed soda crackers (again, what do I sub
here?)
Margarine or butter

Combine all except topping with a wisk and pour into
9x13 greased casserole dish. (It's very liquid, so it
spills easily) Sprinkle crushed soda crackers on top
and dot with small pieces of margarine or butter. Bake
at 375 degrees until knife inserted in center comes
out clean and top is browned.

This is a terrific casserole! (It's very easy to cut
it in half for those of us who don't have large
families) I used to bake it, then cool portion that is
left over, cut it into meal-sized squares and freeze
to microwave or reheat in oven later. I'm having
problems with the fat content of the crackers - the
casserole comes out too greasy. I also don't know what
to use for the condensed soup that will hold up and
not break down when reheated.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can share.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama