From:
Pilgrim South <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:24:09 -0600

Dear Listmates,

I have received so many e-mails about my bread recipe that it is time to
just give it to you in its entirety. My hesitation to share the whole thing
came from my desire not to violate Bette Hagman's copyright from her
book.  It is my understanding that since I have changed it drastically it
is now considered my recipe, thus I can share it with all my friends!  So,
here goes, and remember, I am not Bette Hagman, nor Carol Fenster (what
would we do without their girfts of their talents to us?!), nor even an
outstanding cook.  I am just a  celiac Mom, Grandma and one just like you
that is hungry for "real" bread.  Please note that even since posting my
changes to the original recipe I have made a few changes that have made it
even more true bread like.  Our 13 year old son said yesterday, "Mom, this
is BREAD!"  And the entire loaf was gone in a flash!

Pilgrim South Nummy GF Bread

DRY INGREDIENTS

3 cups of the GF Flour mix
(1 part white rice flour, 1 part brown rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch
flour-not regular potato flour, and 1/3 part tapioca flour.)
3 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2/3 dry milk powder (I use Vance's Dari-Free since I can not have dairy)
or use 2 cups of regular milk to replace the water and increase flour by 2/3c.
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 T  tsp yeast granules

WET INGREDIENTS

3 T honey
1/4 cup oil (I use olive or soy)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 eggs
2 cups of warm water * (I make mine around 105' or 106') Or milk if your
not using the dry milk powder.

Begin with all ingredient (except for the water) at room temperature.  Mix
all dry ingredients into a bowl, including the yeast.  Mix all the wet
ingredients in another bowl except for the warm water. I use my wire whip
to mix everything, first I whip the dry so it is mixed then I mix the
wet.  Add your warm water * (or milk) to the wet ingredients and whip
briefly until mixed.  Add the wet to the dry ingredients and whip until
mixed.  If you are using a bread machine you can just slightly mix it and
let the machine do the rest. If you are using your oven you want to mix it
so it is smooth.   It will be somewhat thick like cookie dough, not runny.

Oven Method:

Place in a warm place until double and bake at 400' for 10 mintues.  Put a
piece of foil paper on the top so it doesn't burn and continue cooking for
about 55 minutes longer.  Check it from time to time, when its slightly
brown its probably done. I let mine sit for a couple of minutes before
removing from pan.   Remove from pan and cool on cooling rack until totally
cool before cutting.

Bread Machine Method:

After mixing put into your bread machine for a 1 rise and bake
setting.  You will have the most delicious loaf of gluten free bread when
you take it out!!

I was given an older bread machine that you can't change a single setting
on and it does not have a dough or bake choice.   It is only meant to have
you put your ingredients in and let it mix, rise,  mix rise, mix rise and
then bake.  I do have choices for basic/whole wheat/sweet and I can choose
the crust to be light/med/dark.  So, in studying the machine (watching it
cycle through)and its book that lists its cycles,  I have found a way to
skin the cat.  Here is what I do.  I looked at the cycles to see where the
last stir down and rise were before the actual bake cycle.  I also looked
for the longest rise and the longest bake cycle as far as my choice of type
of bread. On this machine it happens to be the 2 lb. Sweet/Dark setting.  I
figured out that at 2:32 (It began at 3:40) on the count down clock on the
machine it had a 15 minute rest before a 5 minute final stir followed by a
51 minute final rise and 80 minute bake.  Ahhhaaa!  I thought, if I just
start the machine (without the pan in it) and let it get to the 2:32
reading on the clock I can have 15 minutes to mix my dough,  put it in the
machine and can forget about it until it beeps to tell me its finished
baking!!!!  So, when I get up I take the bread pan out of the machine, set
my stove (not bread machine) but my stove clock timer for 78 minutes
(that's how long my particular bread machine takes to get through the other
cycles before it gets to the last one I want to use) and turn the bread
machine on (having chosen the 2lb. Sweet, Dark setting).  I take my
ingredients out of the refrig (eggs, bread flour mix etc.) so they will be
room temp by the time I need them.  I go onto other things in my daily
routine.  When my stove timer goes off I just mix up the dry ingredients,
then the wet, add the water and put them into my machines bread pan (I do
spray it with an oil spray so the bread falls out easily even though its a
non-stick pan).  I watch the bread machine clock to get to the number I
know will begin the final stir down and put it in before that.  I then can
just forget about it until it beeps and tells me its done.  If you don't
want to mess with trying to take the paddles out or have them in the bottom
of your bread when its done you can just mix it thoroughly before you put
it in "after" the last stir.  It then will rise and bake while you read, go
down memory lane with you husband, have a cup of tea, pick up the
children's toys, pay bills or...well, you understand :)

Some of you have e-mailed and mentioned that you tried my recipe and it
overflowed onto your bread machine coils!!  I am sooooo sorry!  My bread
machine is a 2 lb. loaf and it gets right up there to the top before
baking. One of the changes that I have made in the recipe that is above is
that I have decreased the yeast and water.  That helps the loaf to be a
little more firm and I was having trouble with my machine completely baking
it in the time the machine has programmed to bake.  The change seems to
have helped that.  (Although having a bread machine that can not be
programmed isn't perfect) If you have a smaller loaf pan you might be able
to either cut the recipe in half, or let it rise a shorter time period.

Just in case anyone is interested Welbilt has gone out of business but they
are a very good machine and several of their models work great for gluten
free bread!  I have spent quite a lot of time finding out which ones.  Some
of you may not be interested because the company is gone but...E-bay has
several people that have apparently purchased oodles at wonderful pricing
so they are selling sometimes for as little as $28.00!  New and in the
box!!  They are almost throw away machines, like paper plates. You can use
it until it won't run anymore not worrying about the warranty that doesn't
exist anymore because you haven't paid much for it in the first place.

The following models work well with gluten free bread: Welbilt 3500, 8200,
2H60, Y2K1, Y2K2, 1H70, 2H52, 1L23.  The 1H70 is on E-bay for very good
pricing! Toastmaster 1148X, 1183N, 1145, 1172X. Breadman TR3000 Dream,
TR2200.  Magic Chef 1850TS, 238A.

Hope this information is helpful!  Happy Baking!

Pilgrim South <<[log in to unmask]>>

Visit our families web site at: http://members.aol.com/SowersSeed