Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:28:07 -0800

Listmates,

The Vancouver Sun today published an article by Cassandra Jardine entitled "Chicken soup may have real medical benefits" that was published in the Daily Telegraph.  (I'm presuming that is the London, England Daily Telegraph.)

Included in the article was the following:

"There is an established link between diet and some mental problems," says Michael Gardner, professor of physiological biochemistry at the University of Bradford. " Removing gluten from the diet, for example, is claimed to be beneficial in some cases of schizophrenia and autism."

Certain peptides (sequences of amino acids,) he believes, may block the body's natural functions and affect the operations of the immune system.

Gluten and casein in dairy products are both rich sources of biologically active peptides that can interfere with the production of endorphins, which regulate sensations of happiness and pain and also cross-react with the immune system.

Me again.  I'm not sure what gluten he was alluding to in dairy products, but I do think it is interesting that this aspect of the scientific community's awareness of the correlation between what we eat and our well-being was included in an article about the benefits of good old chicken soup.  Can't knock an opportunity to get some print that includes the thought that gluten is problematic.

Helen, Vancouver, BC