From:
Beth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:40:33 -0400

A few weeks back, I asked a question regarding whether or not Estee
Lauder All-Day Lipsticks were safe.  Here is a summary of what I received
in responses.  Lots of mixed feelings on this one, but I have decided to
start using the lipstick that I received, and haven't had a problem.
Thanks to everyone who wrote...

--A few people had problems with this brand, and have switched to Lancome
Rouge Sensation , Chanel, and Christian Dior.

--The number for Estee Lauder is 1-212-572-4200.  Call between the hours
of 9-5 EST and they will be very helpful.  They do not have a gluten free
list, but will thoroughly investigate and get back to you with any and
all information requested.

--The Passover Guide to Cosmetics and Medications by Rabbi Gershon Bess
lists Estee Lauder as safe.

--"According to information I have(from a book about what is ok to use
for passover, which means the only source of gluten can be from the
matzah--NO other source is allowed) you need to check Estee Lauder brand
products for the following ingredients: Avena Sativa, Beta Glucan,
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat starch, Oat beta glucan, oat
extract, oat flour, Prolamine, Sodium Lauroyl Oat Amino Acids, Triticum
Vulgare, Wheat bran extract, Wheat germ Gllycerides, Wheat protein.
If the lipstick doesn't contain any of the above it is gluten free."

--Posters who are extremely sensitive to any skin contact with gluten had
no reactions.  Beware of mascara and powdered blushes by this company
however.  Always check the ingredients.

--Doesn't know about Estee Lauder, but some Mary Kay contain Yellow #5,
which is one of the five dyes that are "no-no's" for celiacs.

--One person also states that she stopped using Estee Lauder lipsticks
because "all contain wheat germ oil"     (I only heard this response
once.)