From:
Kimber Wakefield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:25:25 PST

Due to an ulcer, I took these products for years. Same with a friend
of mine - he took them for 12 years. Both of us are having significant
digestive problems (indigestion, pain...) from long term use. I have
trouble digesting practically any meal without enzyme capsules for
support! He is having to replenish his stomach's normal flora (normal
bacteria) with Lactobacillus capsules and powder, in addition to all
kinds of enzymes and hydrochloric acid supplements. But he has
improved tremendously.

Hydrochloric acid (HCL acid) has many important functions in the body
and these products block it's production. On a rare occasion, it most
likely is harmless and helps temporarily for some. But it is harmful
to many if taken frequently. HCL acid helps w/digestion and vitamin
absorption in addition to many other things. Incompletely digested
food obviously causes numerous unpleasant problems like many with CD
have after ingesting gluten. It also leaves toxins laying in our GI
systems that can lead to bowel disease. Pharmaceutical companies make
a fortune off these - so don't expect them to inform you of these
potential long term side effects.

If you are having indigestion, there are many possible reasons. You
could be intolerant to some food or it could have hidden glutens.
Masking the symptoms doesn't solve the problems. If it's related to
dairy or beans/legumes, you may need enzymes to assist you with
digestion. There are numerous products (try a healthfood store for GF
ones) to help with that. If it seems like it's with all foods - you
may need to see a naturapath or GI doc and try a short term diet to
rest your GI tract. General enzymes are available from Prevail and
Nature's Way, etc. that assist the body in breaking down most
componenets in foods (they will say Lipase for fat, Cellulase for
plant fibers, Lactase for dairy, etc... on the label). But make sure
the enzymes are plant based - not animal based. It's more natural to
the body. (FYI - Stress can also encourage indigestion!)

** Lots of carbos (breads, pasta, etc.) can be too difficult to digest
and cause these problems, too. That is too common and unrecognized by
most people. Our bodies are NOT meant to ingest lots of refined
carbos, dairy products and sugar - though we love them. They are hard
on our adrenal glands, encourage weight gain and most lack much
nutrition. Think about what people ate years ago before food was so
refined, preserved and processed. Lots of fresh veggies, some grains
and fruits. Sounds good to me! **

One last suggestion, read up on food-combining. Some people do better
if they don't mix proteins and carbohydrates in the same meal. This
could just be a temporary change - for a few months. Sometimes, I do
much better that way. Others do fine and really benefit from the Zone
type diets. Not all diets are good for everyone - as those with CD
know! Try books like "Fit for Life" available in most bookstores.

I'm a nurse but this info is not intended to be medical advice. Just
things I've learned through my experience and journey into better
health with my Naturapath's guidance. Hope it helps! I don't use
Zantac and Alka Seltzer by the box each month - a box may last past
the expiration date now! I've banished Zantac from my home.

** Remember - these annoying little digestive problems are our body's
signal that something is WRONG. It's NOT normal nor is it something to
just mask. It might backfire in the long term! Take care of your body!

Kimber