Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 18:42:55 -0700

 >I talked to a pediatrician today who said....there is a high incidence of
 >celiac in Ireland, Scotland and parts of England.
 >
 >Mary Holford

Mary, we have known for a long time that the Irish have a lock on celiac,
especially the Western Irish. The best figures I've seen were: Irish - 300
in 100,000 (Western Irish much higher); Americans (because of the high
number of Irish) 60 in 100,000; and No. European - 15 in 100,000. These
figures vary according to the source. We also know that Italian, who test
each child automatically, have 3 in a thousand.

Add to this that there is a link between schizophrenia (which is related to
autism) and celiac and then note that the Irish are reported to have the
highest ratio of schizophrenia of any ethnic group, not to speak of the
fact that God invented booze to keep the Irish from taking over the world :)

I would not be prepared to argue over the figures of each group since they
vary so much according to where you read them. Not worth arguing over
anyway. I'm often wrong and don't mind being so :) Never been proved wrong
in my life that I didn't learn  soemthing. -vance