From:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:50:31 -0400

Has anyone been able to find out if mushrooms grown in wheat straw are
gluten-free? I know there was a discussion about this on the list, but I
don't know that we heard a definite answer.  Our Kroger sells Monterey
Mushrooms from California, and I've called them a couple of times to try
and find out if they're ok for us to use. This last time I called,
someone at Monterey Mushrooms told me that mushrooms cannot store
carbohydrates (does anyone know the significance of this?), and then
referred me to a biochemist who hasn't returned my call. They said that
it's the industry standard to grow mushrooms in wheat straw.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who can advise us about this.
It would also be helpful to know if canned mushrooms are ok to eat.

Thanks,

Diana

*******
*******