From:
Diane Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 12:14:03 -0400

Dear Listmates,

I can use your advice on this:

Do you advise children with CD to go to school when they are experiencing the symptoms of accidental ingestion of gluten?

Parents of children who experience these kinds of symptoms from other causes would be called to come and take their children home. But it seems the current professional consensus of school nurses and therapists is that children with chronic health issues should not stay home from school unless they have  fever or vomiting.

My children experience: extreme weakness or fatigue, mental and emotional turmoil, including difficulty concentrating, and sometimes diarrhea and dizziness.  They feel sick and want to lie in bed.  When this has happened from gluten or one of their additional food allergies, and they are feeling that even walking is difficult, I generally let them stay home until they are feeling well enough to go back to school in a day or two.  But they do miss something when they aren't in school, even though they always make up their work and homework, and school officials frown on absences. I don't think anyone at school really understands what these episodes feel like to the person experiencing them.   I am wondering if adults are expected to go to work when they feel like they've been poisoned? Since this is an issue that is likely to come up again during their lives in childhood and beyond, I am wondering if I should require my children to come up with strategies to carry on their daily activ...

Thanks for the input.  Diane Loomis