Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:34:04 -0500

Here are the responses I received regarding Tonkatsu and Hoisin sauces.
I also learned a few soy sauce and teriyaki tips along the way. Thank
you all!

Tonkatsu is a fruit based sauce that is served with breaded/ fried
chicken or pork cutlets (and also with the totally frightening wheat
gluten cutlets!!!)  Tonkatsu sauce is unique in flavor.

Alice

summary below:

I use Hokan Hoisin Sauce. Its ingredients are: sugar, salted soy bean,
water, garlic, sesame paste, modified tapioca starch, caramel colorings,
acetic acid, salt, chili powder.

Whole Foods carries a wheat-free Hoisin Sauce. The brand is "Premier
Japan."  This same brand also makes a wheat-free Teriyaki sauce as well.
If  you don't have a Whole Foods in your area, the American Distributor
listed on the back of the bottles is: www.edwardandsons.com

San-J makes a wheat-free Tamari, also carried by Whole Foods. The
company's site is www.san-j.com.

I'm not familiar with the other sauce you mentioned.
------------------------------
Thai Kitchen Hoisin sauce is GF.
You can check GF Product Lists or ask members at the CD Delphi Forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
Hope this helps,
Mireille

Gluten Free Pantry is selling Premier Japan Organic Wheat-Free Hoisin
sauce,

I did find it at our HFstore.  Finally!!!!

My old oriental cookbook calls tonkatsu a 'breaded pork cutlet"...It does have a recipe for sauce to serve w/ it.

1 / 2 c. catsup, 2 Tbs. soy sauce, 1 Tbs. Worchestershire.

Bev in Milwaukee