From:
Sharon Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:47:58 -0500

This group is worth a million!  I am responding to all because I had so
many requests to do so.  I also wanted to send it to all to emphasize
how reassurance from others with Celiac Disease can make such a
difference for us.  Thank you all so much.  I had been trying to get
excited about our trip to Italy, but I just kept imagining a difficult
time eating.  Eating shouldn't be so important, but when you can't have
something--it seems real important, doesn't it.  It is also fun on
vacation to enjoy the meals.  Your support now has me EXCITED!  I am
going to lug MANY LESS items of food and just sit back, relax, and
enjoy--of course, I'll be careful.  Read the summary below and you will
realize how we can get help from this group, then travel and get along
great.

        It was made clear that Italy is much more knowledgeable than the
people in USA who work in restaurants.  They understand and respond.
Italian are proud and serious about their cooking and want to satisfy
you--very kind people.  One said Italy is one of the more celiac-aware
countries in the world--she thought the children were even tested for it
before school.  One said they are the home of GF knowledge.  What a
confidence builder!!

        Most responses said to take many restaurant cards written in Italian
and laminated.  Give to the tour guide or the restaurant person.  In the
back of "Against the Grain," are cards in several languages, including
Italian--wonderful.  The card even paid off in McDonalds for a
mother/daughter who were backpacking in Italy.  One carried her own
pasta and a card that said "Here is my GF pasta; please cook it in a
clean pot, etc."  One sent me what I can put on a card for an
explanation and on the other side--the restaurant card.

        Several mentioned the good salads, cheese, sliced meats, and fruits
that are available in Italy for alternatives.  One enjoyed lots of good
fish.   Rositto is rice in Italy and is usually GF and good.  Grilled
meat is usually seasoned only with olive oil.  Sausages are usually GF.
Roast chicken is often on tourist menus and is okay.

        Several said the pharmacies carry GF products--one got excellent GF
pasta at one.

        One had difficulty in Venice--only place.  This person also stumbled
across a bakery in Rome that had a room with GF food.  She enjoyed her
fresh fruit tart!!  She thought it was called d'Arte de Panne--not far
from the President Hotel.  A friend told me "Paradise Lost" restaurant
is good--off the beaten path but he is not Celiac so not sure about
that.

        For those who carried food, many carried cans of tuna, rice
cakes/crackers, fruit & veggies, GF cereal, etc.  One took a toaster.
One requested unopened milk from the hotel each day and also took a very
small hot-plate.

Here are some sites to go to for more help.

        www.celiachia.it/home.htm (for restaurants--select "Ristoratori
aggironati," click on flag, etc.

        www.celiac.com (look for support groups--then to Eur Sup Grps)

        Some phrases to say:   "No glutano."; "Senza Gliadine" meaning
without gluten

        Sono Allergico farina de frumenta (I'm allergic to wheat flour)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  I am excited.

Sharon in Kansas--where restaurants don't have a clue!