From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:25:51 -0500

We also just returned from a trip to Disney World.  I went with a copy
of many of the summaries I'd saved from other posters in the past year
or so.  This listing was a god-send.  I was able to track down GF foods
in any of the parks because I had a reference to check.  Of course, I
still confirmed with the staff about individual foods/dishes, but the
listing made everything so much easier. Thanks to all who take the time
to share!!

New info...We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge which was a wonderful
experience.  Imagine waking up to seeing a herd of zebras, a pair of
giraffes, and a few gemboks grazing outside your window!! There are
three restaurants at the lodge.  The fancier one (Jinko?) favors African
cuisine.  The chef (Shawn) came right out and consulted with us on the
options for our 4-year-old son.  He was also willing to fix something
special if given a day's notice (we didn't have reservations--this was a
spontaneous stop after we couldn't get into the Rainforest Cafe in
Downtown Disney).  He was VERY helpful ("Yes, this dish is GF but
probably too spicy for a 4-year-old") and gracious.

The middle restaurant (sorry I can't remember its name) serves breakfast
and dinner only.  We had breakfast. This is a buffet-type restaurant and
the kitchen staff behind the food tables aren't all that helpful but the
waitress was VERY helpul and pointed out several options.   They even
had cooked quinoa as a hot cereal!!  (Okay, the 4-year-old didn't like
the looks of it and refused to touch it, but Mom and Dad thought it was
pretty tasty.  Since then I have made honorable son's cream of rice with
half rice and half quinoa flakes to get him used to the taste.  This he
liked.)

Pool-side eatery--the Mara Posa--had GF hotdogs (a favorite food) and
lots of individual items (jello, fresh fruit salads, etc.).  I think all
the hotdogs at DW are

GF so they are an option for kids eating in the resort clubhouses as well.

If you plan a trip to DW, do what I did: download all the info into a
file and print it off.  It will be worth gold once you're there!!
Enjoy.  Joy