Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:03:05 EST

Two of my favorite restaurants in the Berkeley area are Rivoli's on Solano
Ave.  that has always helped me get a gf meal.  Nizze La Bella is on San Pablo
Ave near Solano and is another great restaurant.  Each cooks to order.

MARY
 I live in Albany-right next to Berkeley. I think you will do well in
Berkeley because of all the great ethnic restaurants here. If you want a super fancy
meal you can call ahead to Chez Panisse. They are supposed to be gluten free
friendly. I have not tried this yet, however.

 Let's see...I go to Picante on 6th St. for casual authentic Mexican food.
They are a family restaurant, lots of cute kids runnin' around. I do fine with
the fresh corn torillas-they make them right in front, you can watch them. I
have stopped getting the fried tortilla chips, though. I am afraid of cross
contamination with other fried foods. I used to eat them all the time, though. The
guacamole is great. I do well with the Rice and Beans Platos (plate), which
comes with the fresh tortillas, and a side of guac and a side of queso fresco
(cheese). I used to get the Pollo Asado Tacos (grilled chicken) but had a funny
reaction once. My friend (also Celiac) orders the Fish Tacos and the
Escabeche Platos (fish plate) and swears she has never gotten a reaction. I am more
sensitive than her and have not tried it yet. I have also had the Legumbre
Picadillo Platos (vegetarian tortillas in a red chile sauce, Spanish rice, beans,
and a great veggie combo of potatoes, zucchini, carrots-lot's of starch! I have
been fine with their pinto beans, and all their salsas. Also their tamales
should be safe, all made with corn masa. I have had their veggie ones which are
great! I have also had their Agua Fresca's (fruit drinks) and their rice
pudding, w/o problems. Their scrambled eggs are great for brunch, too. You might
want to double check on any of these to be safe.

 Most of the Thai restaurants should have options for you. I like to go to
Sweet Basil on Solano Ave.  Their Green Curry Prawn is so great-tons of basil!
Their red curries are also good, and I believe their Pad Thai is made with fish
sauce, not soy. They also have a great vegetarian Eggplant with Green Curry,
it is a stack of grilled veggies, really great! Their Tom Ka Gai soup has
never given me any problems. (There are two other Thai restaurants on Solano. I
have eaten at both years ago and seemed to have plenty of options.)

 I have also eaten at Mam Lan's in Berkeley. It is a small Vietnamese
Restaurant. There is even a rice flour crepe filled with chicken, shrimp and
veggies-Banh Xeo, comes with fresh salad veggies and a dipping sauce. It is excellent!
Their fresh spring rolls (Goi Cuon)are excellent, make sure you ask for
shrimp only -no pork because the pork is BBQ'd with soy sauce-also the sauce they
are served with we can't have-ask for the fish sauce with vinegar to dip them
in-it comes with the crepe.  I have the menu here: 510 528-1790, 1316 Gilman
St. (at Neilson) Berkeley CA 94706. There are a few more options on the menu,
just ask them to be sure.

 You have tons of options for Japanese/sushi in Berkeley/Oakland. My favorite
is Uzen on College in Rockridge. It is a very small upscale sushi place. They
have been very acommodating to me. I love their sushi and their sashimi salad
is the best thing there. Fresh baby greens in a very light vinaigrette, thin
sliced salmon and scallops on top. Out of this world, if you eat raw fish-this
is very high quality-like butter! They say that their miso soup is GF. You
can order their spinach w/no sauce-you could always bring your own GF soy sauce.

 There are also tons of Indian options all over Berkeley. There are two on
Solano, Ajanti and a newer one just across the street-near the Oaks theatre.
Also Raj Café at the other end of Solano in Albany-small, but packed because it's
good!

 I have also just been to La Mediterrane in Elmwood on College Ave. (Near
Ashby). They have a full Greek type menu. I get the Chicken Kabob plate, comes
with rice, salad, hummus. Their dolmas (grape leaves) are excellent!

 For something different I like to go to Oakland and check out Tropix-it's a
Caribbean restaurant on Piedmont Ave. I get the Salmon with mashed sweet
potatoes, and greens, no sauce. I think their Jerk Chicken and rice is also safe. I
have ordered their grilled veggie kabobs for appetizer and can even handle a
few fried plantains (fried bananas) although I worry about cross contamination
in their fryer. Maybe you could ask them to do some separate, call ahead
maybe? Their mango salsa is good, bean dip for the plantains is also great. There
are tons of ethnic restaurants on Piedmont, I haven't even tried yet, the tea
place LaMix is really nice for tea.

 We also have Whole Foods on Telegraph and Ashby if you need snacks to go!
They also have the Amy's Frozen Entrees-The GF pizza and Lasagna especially!

 Well, sorry I have not heard of any fresh GF breads yet! I hope you hear of
some and type it up in a summary! If you have any other questions, don't
hesitate to e-mail me. I hope you enjoy Berkeley! Take care.

Eileen
Also, if you need to stock up on GF foods, you can check out Harvest
House in Concord on Monument Blvd. They have an awesome variety of great
GF food! Check out their website at:
www.harvesthouse.com

-Eileen