From:
Dorothy Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:18:24 EDT

Thank you for your responses regarding my wheat intolerance question.  I
received about 15 responses.  About half of the people who wrote thought I
probably really have celiac disease.  But in fact, I've had the tests, and I
do not have CD.  However I do appreciate your concern.

One person made a very interesting point.  He said that there is a difference
between wheat intolerance and wheat allergy.  Other people who wrote to me
used these terms interchangeably.  They are not the same thing.  He said, and
I think he's correct, that intestinal symptoms are more likely to indicate
wheat intolerance, while skin rashes, etc., are more likely caused by wheat
allergy.

For those people who say they have wheat intolerance, most of them have found
that they can consume some wheat after some period of time being on a
wheat-free diet (time that allowed the intestines to recover from months or
years of eating wheat).  One person said that when he/she starts eating wheat
after being on a wheat-free diet, he/she tends to go overboard, and very
quickly the symptoms recur.  That person finds that it is best to avoid wheat
altogether.  Several people said that they can eat certain wheat-based foods
(i.e., flat breads), but not other things (i.e., pasta).  One person doesn't
have much trouble with desserts, but has a lot of trouble with breads and
pasta.

Most people have experimented and found that they can eat certain foods that
contain wheat, but they can't eat very much of those foods.  Interestingly,
for me and for some others who wrote, pasta seems to be one of the worst
offenders.

Thanks again.

Dorothy