From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:51:35 EDT

This is my version of the King Ranch Casserole.  The Rotel tomatoes (10 oz.
can) are a southern type of canned tomato with chilis in it - it is spicey.

Other companies make the same type of spicy tomatoes, but check the gf status
(or make your own - it contains tomatoes with juice, chopped green chili
peppers, salt, and spice (not identified).  My sons tells me they now sell
that brand in Minnesota so they may be available all over the country.

King Ranch Casserole

12 tortillas - spray with oil and roast at 350 until crispy (turning once).
Reserve.

Sauce:

2 Tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp sour cream

Melt butter and saute garlic until soft; add spices, flour, and mix well.

Add broth, milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.   If too
thick, add more broth.  Remove from fire and stir in sour cream.  Set aside.

Meat/vegetable mixture:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef; brown and set aside.

1 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cups sliced ripe olives
1 can Rotel tomatoes

Melt butter and sauce vegetables until cooked through - add Rotel tomatoes
and beef.  Cook down until no longer juicy.

2 cups shredded colby or cheddar cheese

Break up crisp tortillas into large pieces and layer 1/2 of them in 8 x 12
oiled casserole.  Layer 1/2 of meat mixture; 1/2 cheese; 1/2 sauce; rest of
chips; rest of meat; rest of cheese; and rest of sauce.  Bake at 350 until
bubbly.

Note:   4 cups cooked, shredded chicken or turkey may be substituted for beef.